2010 CFL Season

I’m unapologetic about the fact that I like the CFL more than the NFL, and a game like that just shows why. Fast paced, quick back-and-forth, nail-biting finishing plays, an OT format that actually makes sense given the rules of the game… Sure, every single CFL player would rather play in the NFL for the money and the fame, but the actual game is much, much better in the CFL.

Our game, indeed!

Indeed I was! Games like that are good for the ol’ticker - cleans out the cholesterol build-up nicely!

That game summed up the Riders’ last half of the season - come out slow, often go into the locker room trailing at half-time, and then fight back revitalised - fine when it works, but man - stressful to watch.

This time, I lost track of how many times I muttered: ‘two more plays to shut them down, and you’re off to the West Final’ - the Lions kept making the first down and pushing back, and that final touchdown - ouch! Heard Matt Dominguez doing commentary afterwards on the radio, and he said that it was like Taylor Field was a library, the fans were so quiet. Lulay is a good QB - never gave up and kept things moving.

The fans were really into it, of course - if they ever do build a dome here in Regina, I’m convinced it will be the noisiest stadium in the country. And there was at least one series where the noise affected Lions, with a time count and then a procedure penalty.

We were all on our feet, on and off, for the last five minutes of regular time, and the two OT mini-games. (Mrs Piper kept sitting down and saying “I can’t watch.”)

I thought we were in trouble on the second mini-game, because Lulay seemed to be marching it down field again, but then they got stopped and had to kick the field goal. And then, the toss to Clermont - believe it or not, that was Clermont’s first TD as a Rider! Good way to crack the stats book.

And then the noise! I could tell that the announcer was chatting, but couldn’t hear anything but the fans and the team cheering for about a minute.

Marvellous way to end the Riders Centennial season, knocking two teams out of the playoffs in their last two games at Taylor Field. Now, on to Taylor Field West - nice to have home field advantage in two consecutive playoff games! :stuck_out_tongue:

Northern Piper, will you be at that game? Given today’s weather, and the long-range forecast, it looks like it will be cold and snowy up to and including Sunday. Dress warmly and drive safely, if you’re on your way to Calgary!

'fraid not - Mrs Piper is still in trial…

I thought the Lions should have gone for two after the last TD in regulation. One play to win or lose the game. I think that would have had better odds than going to OT against a better team, but who knows.

Wally apparently did think about that: Buono Admits He Pondered Going for Broke:

Looks like the Stamps-Riders game in Calgary tomorrow is a sellout, according to this TSN story. Not sure if I’d want to be in the stands at McMahon in this weather, but obviously some want to!

Montreal is clobbering Toronto in today’s eastern final–with only six minutes left to play, it looks like Montreal will head for the Grey Cup.

Looking forward to the Stamps-Riders game up next!

CONGRATS ALS!

it was a slaughter. glad the Argos got that last touch-down for honour’s sake - plus, copeland deserved to score on that catch!

Also very glad to be snug in our house, rather than in the stands in Calgary - according to Enviro Canada, it’s currently -17, but -25 with windchill. And the sun will go down soon…

Now:
GO RIDERS!!!

Oh dear - the Stamps are up 1-0 at 13:46.

I missed the whole game. :frowning:

At least I have my Calvillo jersey so everyone knows I cheer for a winner.

I’m picking Burris to beat Durant today. It’s their year, IMO.

Stamps touchdown after an interception. Go Stamps!

Holy smokes! This Canadian game is something else. Stamps up 11-0 at the three minute warning. They are now down 11-14. I can’t believe it!

three downs, bigger field, a lot looser rules - yep, a much more fluid game. the commentators’ most typical comment towards the end of the game “there’s a minute left - loads of time in the CFL”

and then there’s the snow and the freezing conditions, as just demonstrated by that crazy punt recovery-fumble that ended up with everyone sliding into the endzone. :eek:

players have been saying the the ball is like a brick in these conditions - it’s now -18 C, with windchill taking it to -28 C. frozen ball is a lot harder to catch.

wooooooooooooooooo!!!

Congratulations Riders. Hope you get the right personell on the field for your second kick at the cat against the Als.

RIDERS v. ALS!

Now remember Riders staff: the most important practice drill: “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12!”

Does anyone know the name of the guy in charge of constantly counting how many men are on the field? :smiley:

here’s a link to Freeman saving the game for the Riders. What happens when the weather turns a football field into a skating rink…