2014 SDMB March Madness Tournament Pool

To borrow a phrase from the Death Pool,

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year!“

The SDMB group has been renewed for another year in Yahoo!'s NCAA Tournament Pool.

Link: https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/quickenloansbracket
Group Name: SDMB Bracketeers
Group ID*: 75461
Password: Cecil123

You can sign in with either a Yahoo!, gmail, or Facebook account.

Brackets must be completed by 1:00am EDT on Thursday March 20. Note that this is earlier than in past years, where I think they allowed brackets to be entered up until tip-off of the first game on Thursday.

Limit of three brackets per person.

Scoring: Last year I experimented with the “Progressive” scoring model (1-2-3-4-5-6 points per round) with an extra point for each upset pick, rather than the “Traditional” scoring model of 1-2-4-8-16-32 points per round.

This year I’m going to go back to the “Traditional” scoring model, but will keep the extra point for upset picks only for the opening weekend (round of 64 and round of 32).

Let the Madness begin!

• Please let me know if this group ID works. For some reason Yahoo! isn’t displaying it anywhere on the group page that I’ve been able to see, it only shows in the URL for the group page.

And… the brackets are up!

Shooter Flatch ain’t gonna watch any paint dry.

Glad we are back! I had a thread wondering. Will post my bracket tomorrow.

Did you change the password? I’m getting the following message:
“There was a problem
The password is incorrect. Please make sure that it matches the password that you got from the commissioner. The commissioner may also have changed the password since they last sent it to you. (Error #109)”
I’ve copied and pasted multiple times, and tried entering it manually.

Sorry, try lowercase - cecil123. I mostly copied and pasted from last year’s thread, and now that you mention it, I think we had the same problem last year. :smack:

ETA: Forgot to mention, but Yahoo has added an annoying new feature where you have to enter your cell # so it can send you a text message with a code number you have to enter before you can join. I think this may be the last year doing this on Yahoo. :frowning:

Yeah, hope my text comes through. Did do a paper bracket.

Can’t see it, so I may miss this year.

The other thing that happened to me when I was renewing for this year is that after they sent the pin to my phone and I entered it, it told me that there was a problem registering my phone number. But after I signed out of Yahoo and signed back in, I was able to get into the group. The whole registration process just seems really glitchy this year. (Of course me giving out a bad password doesn’t help!)

Would after the “play-in” games be too late?

Well, I’d be happy to join, but Yahoo isn’t getting my phone number. Would somebody please get rid of the idiots running that company already?

I’m not doing it unless they stop making me enter my phone #. Can I suggest that we use an alternative to Yahoo?

You are invited to participate in our “Madness for Charity” basketball pool to benefit great causes! The winners of the pool will receive the following prizes:

• $100 in gift cards to Amazon.com
• A gift basket from Whole Foods (value: $100)
• $35 in gift cards to Margarita’s Restaurant
• $25 gift card to TJ Maxx
• Novelty trophy
• Bonus prizes will be given throughout the tournament!

To sign up, use the following link and password:

Password: charity

You may be prompted to sign up for a CBS March Madness account. If you have any questions or problems, email Matt at mattstat2000@yahoo.com

We ask that each participant make a small donation ($10 to $20) to one of the charities below (your choice). Donation is purely on the “honor system” and you do not need to donate in order to sign up for the basketball pool. In other words, you can sign up for the basketball pool first, using the link and password above, and make your donation afterwards.

Please forward this email to any and all friends & family members who are interested in basketball or supporting good causes!

The charities
• NPH USA
• Options for Children in Zambia
• Year Up

A description of each charity, and links to donate, are below.

NPH USA
NPH USA, formerly Friends of the Orphans, is a non-profit organization that transforms the lives of abandoned and disadvantaged children with homes, healthcare and educational programs, making a positive impact in Latin America and the Caribbean. NPH USA directly supports Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos (NPH, Spanish for “Our Little Brothers and Sisters”), which is currently raising more than 3,200 boys and girls in Bolivia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua and Peru. An additional 1,800 students who live outside the homes receive scholarships, meals and health care. NPH outreach programs served more than 113,000 people in 2013.

Link to donate to NPH USA (donations can be made via credit card): https://securelb.imodules.com/s/769/rtCol.aspx?sid=769&gid=1&pgid=344

Options for Children in Zambia
Options for Children in Zambia is a 501©3 not for profit corporation that provides short-term and long-term relief for orphaned children and their caregivers through delivery of health care, commitment to strengthen local health service capacity, and improvement of health through community development. Our annual service trips employ volunteers who deliver dental care, medical aid, women’s micro-finance support, educational sponsorship, community outreach and public health interventions that help orphaned children, extended families and communities living with HIV and AIDS. The efforts of March Madness will specifically support Tufts dental students to participate in this effort to become a new generation to support vulnerable children and their families in Zambia.

Link to donate to Options for Children in Zambia (donations can be made via Paypal or check): http://www.optionsforchildren.org/donate

Year Up
Year Up’s mission is to close the Opportunity Divide by providing urban young adults with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. We offer a one-year, intensive training program that provides low-income young adults, ages 18-24, with a combination of hands-on skill development, college credits, and corporate internships.

Link to donate to Year Up (donations can be made via credit card or check): https://yearup.secure.force.com/donate

Tournament Info:
For those of you unfamiliar with March Madness, it is the annual college basketball tournament made up of the best 64 teams across the country participating in a single-elimination style playoff for the national championship. Your job will be to pick which team you think will win each of the games until only one team is left, the 2014 National Champion. The person with the most accurate picks will win the pool. Runners-up will also receive prizes.

Again, the CBS Fantasy Sports website to pick your teams can be reached by using the following link and password:

Password: charity

The tournament field is announced on Sunday, March 16th and you will have until Thursday, March 20th at 10:00am EST to pick your teams.

Good luck, and thank you!!!

Annoying indeed. I almost decided to proceed no further over that. Fortunately, it appears easy to opt out of receiving any actual text messages, but yes they have your # anyway.

I had the same experience.

Someone created pool at ESPN, my bracket is posted there.

I think if someone creates a league on the ESPN page, and posts the league info, I will play that one.

But i won’t play on yahoo, because I don’t want to give my cell phone number out. I don’t understand why that’s a requirement (well, i DO. It’s called revenue), but I don’t want to give yahoo my phone number for text messages.

OK, I’ve created a group on ESPN.

Group Name: SDMB Bracketeers
Group ID: 540132
Password: cecil123 (lowercase :D)

To avoid confusion, I have started a new thread here and will ask the mods to lock this one.

Done.