2020 St. Patrick's Day meals

What’s that, bunky? You say you’re locked down and can’t shop? That’s never stopped us before! There may not be any bar-hopping this Saint Patrick’s Day, but I’m sure Dopers are still cooking up special meals. So let’s have them.

Around Casa Silenus the menu is smoked sausage (in lieu of smoked pork shoulder) with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Harp to drink and several whiskies to accompany. I think we’ll start with the Jameson, move on to the Knappogue Castle and finish up with The Dubliner single-malt.

I’ll be having genuine Irish pierogi for supper.

What? They’re made by an Irish family, from our traditional family recipe, and were made for an event at an Irish church.

At some point, I’ll probably put on some pants and go grab a Shamrock Shake, too. Yeah, I know that it has nothing whatsoever to do with real shamrocks, real Ireland, or real milkshakes, but you’ve got to have a few guilty pleasures.

I’ll be having genuine Irish pierogi for supper.

What? They’re made by an Irish family, from our traditional family recipe, and were made for an event at an Irish church.

At some point, I’ll probably put on some pants and go grab a Shamrock Shake, too. Yeah, I know that it has nothing whatsoever to do with real shamrocks, real Ireland, or real milkshakes, but you’ve got to have a few guilty pleasures.

I’m making corned beef & cabbage, as usual. I put the corned beef and some potatoes in the slow cooker around 05:30 before I left for work. Mrs. L.A. will put the cabbage in when she gets hungry. I’m in Seattle today, so it will be at least five-thirty before I get home.

I’ll be making bangers and mash tonight.

Not having access to real Irish bacon (pork shoulder) I’m currently simmering an Irish-American corned beef brisket. Serving with colcannon, a trad Irish dish of braised shredded cabbage and other greens (beet, because I have it on hand), combined with mashed potatoes and reheated en casserole.

And Guinness.

It’s silly to make corned beef for one so I braised 3 pork short ribs in the slow cooker.

We had Potato-Leek Soup with Irish Soda Bread.

As an additional tip to the day, I had Lime Jello for dessert.

We got a big corned beef brisket from Costco when we were stocking up a couple weeks ago. I tossed that into the crock pot with potatoes, onions and carrots this morning, and we cooked up some canned sauerkraut to go along with it.

It was my first attempt at cooking it myself, so I made sure to watch a video on how to properly cut it. I gotta say, it was spectacular. And we’ve still got that little section of the brisket left over for hash tomorrow.

We decided to support one of our local restaurants which is suffering under the dining-in ban, so steak, au gratin potatoes and asparagus tonight. The asparagus was green! And I had a stout to go with.

I made a soda bread with dried apricots soaked in whiskey,cardamom, and a cinnamon crackle; roasted cabbage slices brushed with olive oil, sage, and pepper; and roasted turkey sausage.

Normal plans got upset by Coronacolypse, so I’m making a pot roast. Had a Kilkenny as soon as I got home.

Dinner itself wasn’t very Irish - we had tacos. But it was accompanied by a Boulevard Irish Ale.

The corned beef was good, but a little ‘sweet’. I usually pick up a brisket from the local supermarket, but I got this one at Trader Joe’s since I was there Thursday getting my Cobb salad. As I said, it was good; but I think I’ll stick to the supermarket ones.