2021 NFL QB Carousel Thread aka the NFL Offseason Thread

I don’t see it as being desperate, I see it as they had no glaring needs and a solid roster. They have an opportunity and luxury to get a top-flight QB for years.

Oh, and most accounts say they want to keep Garoppolo and let the new guy sit. But I think they’d trade him quick for the right offer.

I really don’t understand what the 49ers were thinking, but the subsequent trade between the Dolphins and the Eagles doesn’t make also doesn’t make sense to me from the Dolphin’s post of view. Why would the Dolphins, having just made a mint off of what seems like a foolish trade by the 49ers, send one of their 2022 1st round picks to the Eagles just to move back up six spots?

As far as the 49ers picking a QD with the 3rd pick, I don’t get the current trend, seemingly starting in 2016, of teams thinking that every draft will have a multitude of QBs that will be the next Tom Brady or the next Patrick Mahomes.

2016 = Jared Goff and Carson Went will be the next Tom Brady
2017 = Mitch Trubisky, Deshaun Watson, and Patrick Mahomes will be the next Tom Brady
2018 = Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, and Josh Rosen will all be the next Tom Brady
2019 = Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones will be the next Tom Brady / Patrick Mahomes
2020 = Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, and Justin Herbert are all the next Tom Brady / Patrick Mahomes
2021 = Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, and Trey Lance are all the next Tom Brady / Patrick Mahomes

Other than Mahomes himself, the rest of the QBs on this list seem like they range from busts to the lower to middle end of great, but I don’t think any of them were once in a generation pick. My guess is that 2021 will turn out to be about the same as the others. It seems to me like the 49ers are just falling into the same type of thinking, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they end up with a bust.

Looks like the Dolphins actually wanted into the top 10 to pick up their top WR to complement Tua but thought they could get a little more value by dropping down a little.

In a vacuum, the Eagles deal is a bit strange, but taking all the action into account, Miami did very well. They still have their own 1st round pick at 18 and basically turned Houston’s first rounder into pick #6 plus several other draft picks by wheeling and dealing with several other teams. It’s almost like a MLB style multi-team trade.

That Tunsil trade that Bill O’Brien made has turned out incredibly well for Miami. It’s rather amazing any NFL team in the 21st century would give up that much, but nobody can say Miami hasn’t taken full advantage of the situation.

Wouldn’t it be crazy if the Dolphins picked Mac Jones and had him compete with Tua?

Yes, I thought they did very well.

The NFL is officially moving to a 17 game season.

Guaranteeing the Bears will not have a third straight .500 season!

Until they go 8-8-1

Dammit!

Hate the 17 game season, can’t wait to see a bunch of practice squad guys at the end of the season due to injuries. Yeah, I know the 4th preseason game sucks, but the trend has been towards even less playing time for starters during all of preseason anyway.

I assume this pushes the Super Bowl to President’s Day weekend.

From what I read regular season starts on September 9 through Jan 9. Superbowl is Feb 13

Yes, from what I’ve read, the NFL doesn’t want to open over Labor Day weekend.

People are traveling and having parties instead and it would kill opening weekend ratings. So, they’ll push the Super Bowl back a week instead.

Opening weekend was on Labor Day weekend from 1990 (when they added the bye week, and started the season a week earlier than previously) until around 2002, when it was moved back to the weekend after Labor Day, which also had the effect of moving the Super Bowl from late January into early February.

And, yes, the league noted that a reason for the move in 2002 was that they believed that, as many people traveled or were otherwise doing other things over Labor Day weekend, it was depressing TV ratings and attendance.

And that gives college football the spotlight over Labor Day weekend.

It makes perfect sense to start on that Thursday after Labor Day. Everyone’s back in the office or school on that Tuesday and then there’s the super hyped Thursday night game two days later.

Plus, there’s no downside to pushing the playoffs and Super Bowl back. Late January and February were kind of a sports dead zone, but now the NFL owns them, too.

Plus they just expanded the rosters but lowered the salary cap so the extra bodies will definitely be scrubs.

Brad Spielberger on Twitter: “@Johnathan_Wood1 @iowa_bear Came in the new CBA probably in anticipation of 17 games Rosters can now be 55 total, 48 active on gamedays (was 53/46) Practice squads went from 10 to 12 for 2020-21, and then increase to 14 for 2022-beyond. Also more types of vets eligible for practice squad” / Twitter

Everyone is doom and glom, but I am really curious as to what the impact of just one extra game will be on injuries. It’s not like team that make the playoffs spontaneously combust during wild card weekend.

Moving the Super Bowl back to President’s Day is actually ideal in my mind. Always wanted the Monday for the big game to be a holiday…

I suppose the main worry for some Northern teams is that this means more games in late December and January when the weather is liable to be really harsh. Maybe 1 week isn’t a huge difference, but I know in Chicago it often feels like someone throws a switch on Xmas day and the bottom falls out of the temperatures.

I am curious why the league wasn’t willing to try adding another week to the schedule, but not adding another game to each team’s slate. Perhaps there’s a logistical or financial issue I don’t quite understand but it seems like every team having 2 bye weeks could work. The TV networks would get 17 weeks worth of games to show, but that’s just by spacing out the existing 16 game schedule farther.

I think the problem with two bye weeks means that each which there’s going to be fewer games on average which means fewer options to put in the top spots. That’s hard sell for networks which they just made a massive deal with.

Plus the owners get more revenue directly from an extra game.

Right. It’s not about making the season longer, it’s about having more games. More games = more ads to sell = more money from the networks.