2021 NFL QB Carousel Thread aka the NFL Offseason Thread

I’m not seeing where this is tangentially related to the NFL.

Another example of Snyder not caring about the opinion of minorities. :wink:

This may be paywalled, but What we know about Duxbury firing its football coach after players used Holocaust-related terms - The Boston Globe says “dreidel”, “rabbi” and “Auschwitz” were all used. No indication of what each call meant on the field, but I’m guessing once you’re yelling “Auschwitz! Auschwitz!”, what you actually meant by it is kind of beside the point.

Maybe one of the kids will play in the NFL as a QB someday?

Otherwise yeah, totally off-topic.

The crazy predictions have started. Former Tampa Bay QB Dan Orlovsky is predicting Tampa Bay will go undefeated next season.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=31069293

This might be the most bonkers trade I have ever heard. The 49ers must be out of their god damn mind.

They just traded away 2 1sts and a 3rd for the privilege of moving up from the 12th pick to the 3rd pick. 2 future 1sts and a 2021 3rd to move up 9 slots. This more than the Bears gave up in both the Cutler trade and the Mack trade…and the Niners are just moving up a few spots. This makes no fucking sense. And it makes even less sense when you consider that they are making this trade today, a full month before the draft. Many prospects haven’t worked out yet, we don’t know who’s going #1 and #2 (though we can guess) and we can’t even be certain who is picking in those spots. Why in god’s name would they make this deal? Why now?

So what does this mean?

I suppose it helps the Dolphins a little bit since they probably won’t have to face the issue of drafting a rookie QB right after drafting Tua. They get a windfall of picks too, but perhaps they were partially motivated by avoiding the questions around taking one of those blue chip QBs. I suspect this implies that they are committed to Tua for 2021 at least and will be giving him a fair shot to earn the job long term.

The internet is suggesting that this all but confirms that the 49ers have a trade in place to send Jimmy G packing. Which holds some logic I suppose, everyone thinks they are getting some picks coming back when they trade him to the Patriots or someone similar. Doesn’t justify what they just spent, but I’m sure they’ll spin it that way. The Niners are publicly saying that Jimmy G is still their guy and they didn’t move up to #3 to target any one player, and it’s not necessarily a QB…sure.

Fucking bonkers. Look out Texans, the Niners are coming for you.

I wonder if this means they’re trading Jimmy G to the Pats to recoup a pick or two.

It would appear they believe Fields or Wilson (or even Lance) is the next Mahomes, and they have the core in place to win now (or in the next two years) with the right QB. A huge leap, IMO.

They probably won’t get more than a 2nd rounder for Garappolo, so may keep him around to play the Alex Smith role for a year.

But Miami … just wow. A 10-6 team with all the draft capital it could ever need to build or trade as the situation warrants. If Tua makes strides between his first and second seasons these guys could dominate for years.

And now the Dolphins are back to #6 Pick after trading with the Eagles.

Incidentally, if the Niners are trading away Garoppolo and are planning to draft a rookie…who’s expected to start in 2021, who the hell are they drafting?

We can assume that Lawrence is off the board at #1.

The Jets are at #2 and it would be shocking if they didn’t draft a QB since the Darnold experiment seems to have run it’s course. That means it’s probably Zach Wilson at #2.

This leaves the Niners picking from Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones. Mac Jones at #3 would be a massive reach I think. Fields is a really interesting prospect but he’s still very raw, so it’d be a hell of a gamble to pin your hopes on him starting week 1. Trey Lance is a one year wonder who has all the traits but essentially missed a season last year, so he too would be a major gamble as a week 1 starter. Who are they thinking they want? Do you trade up to #3 if you are thinking that you’d be happy with any of Wilson, Fields or Lance? The Jets could end up picking any of those guys if they have a different opinion on Wilson. If you like all 3 equally, why don’t you wait to trade until draft day and see who’s there at 4 or 5?

Wonder which 2022 pick they shipped off. Maybe it’ll be contingent. Clearly they had this deal already agreed to when they made the Niner’s deal. This puts them back in play for a QB. Maybe they think Lance will be there at 6.

This puts the Bengals in a really, really good spot. They can probably sell their pick for a mint if any of those top 4 teams pass on a QB.

Because there’s no guarantee that they won’t be drafted 1-2-3 … or that no one will trade up to #3 before you.

I had read some rumors, yesterday, that the Jaguars and Niners were in talks to send Gardner Minshew to San Francisco; I imagine that that’s now off the table, unless the Niners are still planning to shop Garoppolo, and are looking to get a veteran backup to a rookie QB.

If New England is legitimately hot to trot for Jimmy G, I would absolutely make that deal happen and bring in Minshew. Minshew + Justin Fields is a situation I’d be very happy with.

That would mean Lawrence slipped. Which ain’t happening.

Going from #12 to #3 is a fuck of lot more than “just a few spots” in a draft like this. This is for a franchise QB that John and Kyle believe is the next Mahomes. They could be wrong, obviously, but if they’re right I’m fine with what they gave up.

As for timing, I think it’s to beat other teams to the punch, but mostly to find someone to take Jimmy G.

My bad – I meant “there’s no guarantee that they won’t be drafted 2-3-4.” I’ve actually seen mocks with 1-4 being QBs.

Considering Mahomes was the 10th pick of the draft and the Chiefs only gave up a third rounder and one first round pick to move up 17 spots to get him, it’s ridiculous what the Niners gave up. They gave up one more less first round pick to move up 8 less spots. (And yes I understand the move to 3 is much higher, but only if you’re sure of the guy you’re drafting).

I suppose in a world where there is a sure thing at #3 and/or you’re attempting to re-build a franchise from the ground up, it might make sense, but neither of those is the case for the Niners. They’re mortgaging a bright future for a crap shoot. And doing so after making Jimmy G. the highest paid player in the NFL.

Given the spotty and mostly non-existent football season in college, and what looks to be a limited combine, I don’t know how reliable this draft will be outside of a couple of hot QB prospects. Trading future 1st round picks for a pick this draft seems like trading a couple of twenty dollar bills for a ten dollar bill. I understand if you are in “win now” mode, but that smacks of real desperation.

That is, of course, the same draft where Chicago traded the 49ers their 1st first round picks and gave up their 3rd and 4th round picks, along with a 3rd round pick from the following year to move up from #3 to #2 in the draft for a QB nobody else in the top 10 was considering.

Draft math is wack-a-doodle