2021 SDMB Celebrity Death Pool

Petra Mayer, the editor on NPR’s Culture desk, died on Saturday at Holy Cross Hospital in Maryland as the result of a suspected pulmonary embolism.

She was 46.

Former Major League Baseball player Julio Lugo has died at 45 years old.

Search doesn’t show this one so here goes:

I know she’s not a celebrity herself, but Chris Daughtry’s stepdaughter has died. A police investigation is ongoing…

Actor Heath Freeman has died at 41. No cause of death listed as yet.

Winter, the dolphin who learned to swim with a prosthetic tale and inspiration for and a star of the “Dolphin Tale” movies, dies from complications due to GI issues.

“More popular than Jesus” reminded me of this:

In 1966 the Rutles faced the biggest threat to their careers. Nasty in a widely quoted interview had apparently claimed that the Rutles were bigger than God, and was reported to have gone on to say that God had never had a hit record.

The story spread like wildfire in America. Many fans burnt their albums, many more burnt their fingers attempting to burn their albums. Album sales sky-rocketed. People were buying them just to burn them.

But in fact it was all a ghastly mistake. Nasty, talking to a slightly deaf journalist, had claimed only that the Rutles were bigger than Rod. Rod Stewart would not be big for another eight years, and certainly at this stage hadn’t had a hit. At a press conference, Nasty apologized to God, Rod and the press, and the tour went ahead as planned. It would be the Rutles’ last.

He wrote “I’m Just a Bill” for Schoolhouse Rock

Rapper Young Dolph dies of a shooting at 36.

Sculptor Jimmie Durham

Legendary Rock visualizer, Mick Rock has died, at only 72.

Heroes get remembered but legends never die.

Former Raiders player Steve Smith, dead of ALS at age 57.

1. Famous Death
  2. ???
  3. Profit!

Not a good time to be a “Raider,” I guess:

Actor/writer Peter Aykroyd, younger brother of Dan Aykroyd, has died at 66.

He sleeps tonight.