2022 NBA Playoffs Thread

The Sixers-Raptors game is extremely intense and fun to watch. 90-90 with 3 minutes to play.

I don’t understand the T-Wolves offense. I know they’re the highest scoring team in the league, but I’m not seeing it in this series. They don’t appear to really run plays, I’m seeing a lot of one-on-one and awkward, wild shots. Memphis is doing a good job on defense, but I was expecting much more order and discipline from Minnesota.

Re: Raptors-Sixers

One of the announcers talked about putting in Boucher right near the end of regular time for Precious, who played really well but looked as tired as Gollum. Wish they did after his free throws - which he would probably have made if he had normal numbers of minutes. I am far dumber than Nick Nurse; he had a reason fir not using his bench more. But can’t help feeling the announcer was right.

Toronto staves off elimination with a 110-102 victory in Game 4, but they’ve still got a long ways to go.

On the same day, it was announced that Raptors forward Scottie Barnes has been named Rookie of the Year in a practically neck-and-neck vote with Cavaliers forward Evan Mobley.

The Mavericks and Jazz are currently playing in Game 4, with Dallas up 2-1, and Luka Doncic made his return to the court in this game.

Raptors coming out strong in Game 4 even with VanVleet straining his hip early. Sure, it’s a long road. But if they can win next game in Philly, they are going to win Game 6 in Toronto. And then they’ll have momentum.

Celtics win Game 3 and are now one win away from sweeping the Nets.

And your rookie of the year…. SCOTTIE BARNES!!!

Mavs guard Jalen Brunson has been looking like a franchise player, and it hasn’t gone unnoticed by ESPN or the rest of media. After averaging 16.3 PPG in the regular season, the fourth-year player has averaged 29.8 through four games of the Jazz series, including 41- and 31-point performances during the Mavs’ two wins with Luka Doncic sidelined.

He enters unrestricted free agency this offseason.

Richly deserved. It was a close vote, but he earned it.

The Raptors looked fairly dominant in Philly. Being down 3-2 is a long road when playing guys like Harden and Embiid without VanVleet. But at least there is a path - Toronto will be a noisy place on Thursday. They shut down the Sixers, even while missing most of the threes. Some spectacular plays.

I always have my irony meter at maximum shielding to prevent damage when surfing the Internet, but damned if Kyrie Irving didn’t find a way to blow it to smithereens anyway. Kyrie on distractions helping to sink the Nets:

“We were trying to exercise every option for me to play, but I never wanted it to just be about me.”

It is always about Kyrie. He probably won’t be with the Nets much longer though, seeing that Ben Simmons is determined to supplant him as the team’s leading prima donna.

The Raptors looked better WITHOUT VanVleet, at least recently.

It’s never easy to win two in a row, but it’s doable. I’ll tell you what, Sixers fandom is melting down right now.

Injury and illness updates.

Game 5 between the Heat and Hawks, with the Heat up 3-1, is about to start, and Jimmy Butler is out for the Heat because of knee inflammation.

An MRI on Utah’s Donovan Mitchell was negative, and the Jazz hope he’ll be able to play in Game 6, with the Jazz down 3-2 and facing elimination.

And Chicago’s Zach LaVine has entered health and safety protocols and is questionable for Game 5, with the Bulls trailing the Bucks 3-1 and also facing elimination.

Miami eliminates Atlanta with a three-point victory, taking the series 4-1.

And Memphis and Minnesota are tearing it up in Game 5. FIGHT FOREVER! [I’m a little bit behind.]

OH MY GOD the Grizzlies/Timberwolves Game 5 was amazing. Especially the last few minutes.

I’m not sure what happened a couple months ago, but it’s pretty clear 80% of the Chicago Bulls have forgotten how to shoot. This is painful to watch, especially with Lavine out.

Oh, and Grayson Allen is still a punk.

One of the highlights of my sports-watching career was seeing the Jayhawks defeat Duke in Grayson’s last collegiate game.

Right now Giannis is 7-8 from the field and 7-9 from the line. He has 21 points with a minute left in the half.

Injury updates:

Warriors forward Andre Iguodala is out for Game 5 against the Nuggets, with the Warriors up 3-1. He’s suffered a neck injury and will be re-evaluated in a week’s time. He’ll miss the rest of the first round, and maybe the first bit of the second round, if the Warriors advance.

Stephen Curry is expected to return to the starting lineup in Game 5 for the first time in the playoffs and will no longer be under a minute restriction. Kevon Looney will go to the bench, and Draymond Green will move to center.

Phoenix’s Devon Booker is likely to return soon, either in Game 6 or 7 (if necessary) against the Pelicans. The Suns are up 3-2.

Warriors eliminate the Nuggets; Bucks eliminate the Bulls. Bucks will face the Celtics in round 2. The Bucks and Celtics have met in the playoffs on eight previous occasions, including twice recently, with the Celtics winning in '18 and the Bucks in '19.

This could be an epic battle between the teams in green.

Tonight, 3 teams (Sixers, Mavs, Suns) try to advance with a road win and avoid a Game 7.