2022 NBA Playoffs Thread

Interesting to see how the Raptors do at home without Freddie VanVleet. First, they showed Embiid and Harden were human, than they showed they were vulnerable. If they can keep that up, they’ll make conference final, with the strength of added Freddie. Even if no one has (yet) ever recovered when down three.

I’m definitely cheering for the Raptors and the Pelicans. I don’t like Embiid’s punk attitude or Chris Paul in general. Plus, a play-in team beating the one seed will solidify that part of the playoffs. As far as Mavs/Jazz, I’m ambivalent. Luka is following the same foul-baiting, complain-to-the-refs style that annoys the absolute hell out of me.

Oh, and Kyrie Irving already on vacation throwing out even more conspiracy theories is exactly what I hoped for at this time.

@Dr_Paprika and other Raptors fans in this thread, here’s a piece on Scottie Barnes for you to sink your teeth into:

Sigh. Not a good third quarter. Couldn’t force turnovers, under 30% on the threes but not beating the defence and getting to the basket. The season started slow and they ended in fine fettle. Game 3 came down to a couple free throws and the skill of Embiid. Great player. Don’t know how he avoided flagrancy. But looks like the Raptors are going to have to rebuild. They are a young team with a bright future if they can keep their talent. I’ve enjoyed watching them play. This isn’t their season. But a good run, for the most part.

All three teams that looked to clinch with Game 6 wins on the road last night were able to do so.

Philadelphia eliminated Toronto; Phoenix over New Orleans; Dallas over Utah.

The Sixers will battle top-seeded Miami in Round 2. This will be the third playoff meeting between those two teams, with the Heat winning in 2011 and the Sixers in '18.

Phoenix and Dallas will play each other in the second round, in their third playoff meeting. Phoenix won in '05, and Dallas won in '06.

With Boston and Milwaukee already set, we’re still awaiting the result of one more first-round playoff series, and that’s the Grizzlies and Timberwolves. Memphis takes a 3-2 lead into Minnesota tonight, trying to close out that exciting matchup.

Philly’s got a big problem.

The injury occurred with 3:58 left in the fourth quarter, with the Sixers up by 29, and happened to their star player, who was already suffering a thumb injury.

What the hell was he doing there?

If the Sixers get beaten by the Heat in the next round, they deserve to lose.

The Grizzlies eliminated the Timberwolves in Game 6. The second round is fully set.

I didn’t get all the play-in matchups correct, but I was 3-of-4 on who would win the first round in the West, and 3-of-4 in the East as well.

So, my updated predictions:

Western Conference Semifinals

Phoenix def. Dallas, 4-3
Memphis def. Golden State, 4-3 (this might be wishful thinking on my part)

Western Conference Finals

Phoenix def. Memphis, 4-2

Eastern Conference Semifinals

Miami def. Philadelphia, 4-2
Milwaukee def. Boston, 4-2

Eastern Conference Finals

Milwaukee def. Miami, 4-2

NBA Finals

Phoenix def. Milwaukee, 4-2

I’m still going with the Suns beating the Bucks to win their first championship.

What the hell?

In the first quarter, I could have sworn the sponsor on the Celtics’ court was Meta Quest, but now, in the second quarter, it’s Hotels.com? Are they projecting that down onto the court, or did they actually remove part of the court and replace it?

Nope, neither. It’s cg, like the first down line in football. I’ve actually seen them “pop in”. Ain’t the future great?. Perfecting technology so more ads can be shown.

Oh, yeah, I see now that the advertisement in the third quarter didn’t appear on a replay.

I’m not following the playoffs closely, but I did catch the end of the Bucks game – 538 gave them a 26% chance of winning. (Chance of winning it all went from 9 to 15%)

Brian

With the Grizzlies up by 2 in the closing seconds of the game, Klay Thompson hit a dagger three to put the Warriors ahead, which ultimately gave them a one-point lead.

I hope this is just the first of what should be a fun series to watch. I’m pulling for the Grizzlies to win it all.

Marcus Smart, the Defensive Player of the Year, is out for Game 2 against the Bucks with a right quad contusion.

The Celtics currently trail in the series, 1-0.

Celtics dominate anyway, 109-86.

Philadelphia’s Joel Embiid has cleared concussion protocol and is upgraded to doubtful for Game 3. He will have to wear a face mask to protect his fracture when he makes it back to the court.

Marcus Smart is listed as probable for Game 3 against the Bucks.

Embiid did indeed play in Game 3, after being announced as a starter half an hour before tipoff.

The NBA hit Philadelphia with a $50,000 fine for violating the injury-reporting guidelines, which is a thing I don’t think existed before they got into bed with the sports betting companies.

Phoenix got fined half that amount for listing Devin Booker as out for Game 6 of the first round before playing him.

Mark Jackson was apparently in the running for the Sacramento Kings job, but they gave it to Warriors assistant Mike Brown.

Brown will finish out the postseason with the Warriors before assuming his duties with the Kings.

Funny tweet I saw:

Ja Morant is likely to miss Game 4 due to an injury.

ESPN is reporting that Denver’s Nikola Jokic is going to win his second straight MVP award.

Ja Morant’s injury has been revealed to be a bone bruise, and he is doubtful to return for the rest of the playoffs, no matter how far the Grizzlies advance. They’re hopeful he will recover, however.

The Grizzlies are down 3-1 and it’s win-or-go-home for the remainder of their series against the Warriors, which resumes with Game 5 in Memphis on Wednesday.

Well.

Ain’t that about a bitch. I was pulling for Memphis to win it all, but that looks unlikely. Just please not the fuckin’ Warriors again. I’m so sick of them and their bandwagon fans.

I’m with you there. Also not the Celtics, just because.

Anybody else, that’s fine. I do like watching Miami.

Suns-Heat final would certainly be a scorcher.