2022 US West wildfire thread

Believe it or not, we’ve got one already. 1500 acres at last report, near Big Sur, California. 5% containment.

Just saw this on the AP but Seanette was on top of the situation!

I’m certain I was seeing the acreage at 1500 when I first posted, but current reports are saying 1050. 20% containment by now.

VICE just posted this 8 minute video:

Am I the only one who sees this topic title (as well as that of last year’s similar topic) and immediately thinks of the former Baby Bell based in Denver?

At least as of the most recent story I could find, it’s not growing and containment’s up to 25%.

Evacuations now:

If they find the people who did this, will they face serious consequences?

We can certainly hope so.

And there’s one in Santa Barbara county, California.

And we have a named one, the Golden Fire, in Yuba county. As of most recent update, forward progress stopped, 20% containment.

Arizona still has a few fires going, the Archosanti fire is fully contained at under 300 acres and the complex is safe.

The winds are super high and have been for weeks. That’s what’s driving the fires, but the weather guessers say we should have a tranquil weekend. That will help the firefighters get more control over the fires.

I hope so. I hate to think about how bad your air quality must be.

We’ve only had to leave for two nights, but the catio door is currently locked more often than not which is upsetting the cats to no end.

I’ve noticed different birds than we usually get, they fly away from the fires and look for water. Can you put a small bird bath on your balcony?

I could probably put something suitable on the patio once I fight back the ivy takeover. :slight_smile:

I’ve started donating to Fish and Game again. They use the money to fill water tanks for the wildlife in an attempt to keep the wildlife away from humans and cars. Deer are as cute as can be and dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to cars. They are much safer back in the hills.

Fires aren’t the only drought caused damage possible. :frowning:

Quail Fire II now underway (Quail Fire I was in 2020).

Things are heating up out this way:

Tunnel Fire

• Start date: April 17
  • Size: 19,088 acres
  • Containment: 98%
  • Fuels involved: Dry grass, brush and scattered pine
  • Cause: Under investigation
  • Total personnel: 10

Crooks Fire

• Start date: April 18
  • Size: 9,402 acres
  • Containment: 96%
  • Fuels involved: Timber, chaparral, brush
  • Cause: Undetermined
  • Total personnel: 12

Elgin Bridge Fire

• Start date: May 23
  • Size: 2,149 acres
  • Containment: 73%
  • Fuels involved: Short and tall grass, brush
  • Cause: Under investigation
  • Total personnel: 130

Lost Lake Fire

• Start date: May 26
  • Size: 4,758 acres
  • Containment: 0%
  • Fuels Involved: Grass, salt cedar, desert brush
  • Cause: Undetermined
  • Total Personnel: 150

2022 fires with or near full containment

This list does not include prescribed burns.

• San Rafael Fire: 11,620 acres southeast of Patagonia, 100% contained as of May 15.
  • Locklin Fire: 112 acres in Bisbee, 100% contained as of April 30.
  • Presumido Peak Fire: 2,591 acres in Pima County near the border with Mexico, 100% contained as of April 5.

I understand the Presumido Peak Fire was a controlled burn last year. The forestry thought the burn piles were out, it snowed several times over the winter and then in the spring when things dried out, whammo. I’m usually one of the first to pile on the forestry department about losing control of their burns but there really wasn’t any way for anyone to think that this would happen.

Just in time for all of the flatlanders to be heading back home to go to work tomorrow.

What a nightmare that must be tonight. When I traveled to Sedona a couple months ago, the traffic coming and going was already horrendous.

I can’t remember if there are any easy detours.

You guys sure are off to an early start this year. So sorry.

We’ve had an especially rainy May here in Oregon, which should foreshorten the wildfire season a bit. We’re by no means out of the woods (pun intended), but we’ll take what we can get.