2022 US West wildfire thread

I’m glad you are getting some rain, the winds here have been horrible.

Sedona and the surrounding area are so beautiful, I hate thinking about the scars that will last for years.

(No easy detours, Jerome is a very scenic but slow and twisty detour and if you drive north and back through Cottonwood to Camp Verde you have to take the 5 mile road of 7 fucking roundabouts first.)

Ugh, yes, the roundabouts. Did every one of 'em coming and going. We have them here, too, so they don’t bother me, but a lot of the tourists seemed to struggle with them – which made it fun for everyone.

It is a beautiful area. I, too, am sad to think of the scarring. Also thinking of some friends of mine who live there now – hope Sedona itself is not under threat.

Stay safe, lady. I’m sorry the winds have been miserable.

As far as I know, Sedona itself is safe. I’m pretty sure your friends will be OK, Sedona is a big source of tourist dollars so both counties have nice modern fire stations there. (There is a county line running through Sedona, Yavapai and Coconino. Both counties love their sales tax dollars so protect Sedona like the golden goose it is.)

Thank you, we are the home in the block the firemen will protect because we keep our yard fire safe. Hopefully that will never matter, but it could. There have already been several house fires in our small community this year and all of the started in the dry grass and weeds.

Very glad to hear it. And thanks for all the information – lots of people I care about live down your way. (Including you!)

It’s still burning out this way, but honestly…it’s not as bad as I had expected by this time of the year.

2022 fires with or near full containment

This list does not include prescribed burns.

• Lost Lake: 5,856 acres southwest of Parker, 100% contanined as of June 7.
  • Tunnel Fire: 19,088 acres northeast of Flagstaff, 100% contained as of June 3.
  • Crooks Fire: 9,402 acres south of Prescott, 96% contained as of May 25.
  • Elgin Bridge Fire: 2,149 acres northeast of Elgin, 100% contained as of May 25.
  • San Rafael Fire: 11,620 acres southeast of Patagonia, 100% contained as of May 15.
  • Locklin Fire: 112 acres in Bisbee, 100% contained as of April 30.
  • Presumido Peak Fire: 2,591 acres in Pima County near the border with Mexico, 100% contained as of April 5.

I just had to open my big, fat mouth, didn’t I?

What we know: Officials with Coconino National Forest said an incident management team has been ordered and is scheduled to arrive over the next couple of days. The Pipeline Fire was reported at 10:15 a.m. by a fire lookout on Sunday, June 12. As of Sunday morning, the fire was “several acres” large and “active on all sides and growing.” The cause of the fire is unknown.

Evacuations and closures: An evacuation “GO” status has been launched for Schultz Pass Road and Arizona Snowbowl, which means residents should evacuate immediately. An evacuation “SET” status has been initiated for Mt Elden Lookout Road and Mt Elden Estates, Timberline South of Brandis and Doney Park, which means residents should be ready to evacuate.

Arizona Department of Transportation announced at around 3 p.m. on June 12 that US 89 is closed due to the fire. All southbound lanes are closed at milepost 430 and northbound lanes closed at milepost 427. There’s no estimated time to reopen the road.

Acreage: 1,000

Containment: unknown

Fire start date: June 12

Looks like they’re treating that one as arson.

That’s terrible.

The dumbass was just fine camping without a fire, but he couldn’t bring himself to carry his used toilet paper back home for disposal, that would be gross. He set it on fire and left. His defense was that he didn’t think that burning paper could start a fire. It’s amazing that that idiot made it to 50 without burning down his home at least twice.

The Kitt Observatory has lost buildings. The Lowell Observatory is having ash and smoke issues.

Nevada County, CA, has one that’s bad enough evacuation orders are in effect. Rices Fire is 520 acres with zero containment as of most recent info. This one’s igniting trees, which doesn’t usually happen this early, according to one of KCRA’s weather guys.

Rices Fire has jumped to 769 acres overnight, still 0% containment.

And Electra Fire is looking pretty scary. Less than 24 hours and it’s already at 3k acres, 0% containment.

Rices Fire remains at 904 acres, 12% containment.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article263159888.html

Oak Fire near Mariposa blowing up:

CAL FIRE is reporting it’s now up to 11,900 acres. This thing started yesterday. Its behavior is being called “explosive”, with embers being thrown and causing spot fires near the main fire.

I hope things settle down quickly. “Explosive” sounds kinda scary to me.

Me too.

I’m chiming in with a reminder for everyone in wildfire range to prepare in advance. Cal Fire has a website with some information on what to do to be ready, including what to put in a go back and planning evacuation routes.

What would you all think about opening this up worldwide? Europe has had some major fires recently. I believe Australia has as well.

I woke up with a runny nose and heavy smoke in the area. Breeze is picking up this afternoon, but its pretty bad.

Oak fire is 18,000 acres now. 26% contained. One blessing is that this is relatively uninhabited terrain, with only ~3,000 impacted by evacuation orders so far. On the negative side, the terrain is horrible for fire fighting. It’s mountainous and conditions can change rapidly.

WTF, Weed? Is there a serial arsonist running amok in that area?

Too many people just like to see things burn.