“Everything Everywhere All at Once”
“The Fabelmans”
“Tár”
“Top Gun: Maverick”
“Triangle of Sadness”
“Women Talking”

Best Director
Todd Field (“Tár”)
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Ruben Ostlund (“Triangle of Sadness”)
Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)

Best International feature
Germany, “All Quiet on the Western Front”
Argentina, “Argentina, 1985”
Belgium, “Close”
Poland, “EO”
Ireland, “The Quiet Girl”

Best Animated feature
“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”
“Marcel the Shell With Shoes On”
“Puss in Boots: The Last Wish”
“The Sea Beast”
“Turning Red”

Best Actor
Austin Butler (“Elvis”)
Colin Farrell (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Brendan Fraser (“The Whale”)
Paul Mescal (“Aftersun”)
Bill Nighy (“Living”)

Best Actress
Cate Blanchett (“Tár”)
Ana de Armas (“Blonde”)
Andrea Riseborough (“To Leslie”)
Michelle Williams (“The Fabelmans”)
Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Supporting Actor
Brendan Gleeson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Brian Tyree Henry (“Causeway”)
Judd Hirsch (“The Fabelmans”)
Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Supporting Actress
Angela Bassett (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”)
Hong Chau (“The Whale”)
Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
Jamie Lee Curtis (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
Stephanie Hsu (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

(Handy tip for people making predictions: keep in mind that the actors’ guild has the largest branch of Academy membership. In other words, the SAGs should be weighted more heavily than, say, whatever the Producers’ Guild chooses to honor.)

The problem with the Oscars these days is that I have seen none of these movies yet, and I’m not going to see them while the only options are going to a theater or paying $20. They should lag the awards by a year.

I’m just going through them to see the options available, maybe I’m too hasty…

“Everything Everywhere” with a free trial of Showtime.
Banshees of Inisherin - HBO or rental $4
Elvis - HBO or $6 rental
Tar - $6 rental
All Quiet - Netflix I think?
Top Gun - MGM free trial or $6 rental
Triangle - $6 rental

Ok, much better than I first thought

I really don’t know what your issue here is? You’re annoyed you can’t see everything for free on OTA TV?

When has it ever been the case that you didn’t have to pay in some form to see nominated films, either in theaters, streaming or renting a DVD/VHS? That’s a weird bit of entitlement. “The problem these days is I have to pay to see a movie!!”

I’ve already seen every one of the ten films nominated for Best Picture.

The awards are a promotion though. It’s a big ad to get you to go see movies. If it wasn’t it would be held at some convention center and maybe air on C-SPAN.

The price structure has changed. I rarely go the cinema these days, I’m hardly alone in that. And for streaming, new streaming movies tend to be either exclusive to one subscription service or very expensive for some time (often purchase only) until they become widely available for a normal rental price.

I don’t have much inclination to pay up to stream movies earlier, so I’m just responding to that pricing structure. That means I won’t have seen many of the movies by the time of the awards, which makes me less inclined to want to watch the awards.

I’m not complaining about anything. It was just an observation about people’s likely inclination to want to watch the award ceremony when I think fewer people will have seen the movies than in the past.

For many years I made a point of seeing as many films nominated in the top categories as I could. Many years … I still remember sitting through The Last Emperor, intermission and all (sure, it was a film worthy of acclaim, but it was also boring).

Partly through how life circumstances change, but mostly through the age of COVID, that’s quite different now. I’ve only seen two of the Best Picture nominees so far (Everything Everywhere All At Once and Top Gun: Maverick), and I’m hardly better with the other categories.

My situation in the Midwest living outside any major cultural center also plays a part. My city has gone from over a half-dozen theatres with over 30 screens in the 2000s to just two theatres and 16 screens today. I’m not sure Everything Everywhere ever played on a screen in my town; meanwhile I’ve literally never heard of the films Triangle Of Sadness, Causeway, Aftersun, or To Leslie. And I try to keep up with things in the world of movies! It’s just harder than it used to be!

Anyway, I already have HBO Max and Netflix, so I can stream All Quiet On The Western Front, Elvis, and Banshees Of Inisherin; Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is coming to Disney+ in about a week. So I can knock out a few more, at least.

Everything Everywhere is really good - and hooray for Ke Huy Quan, who’s come a long way from Data and Short Round. Michelle Yeoh and Stephanie Hsu are also outstanding in that. Top Gun: Maverick was a terrific movie, but it’s not winning - that’s the Mad Max: Fury Road honorary spot in the Best Picture list.

I’m really pleased to see Triangle Of Sadness being recognized. The third act is particularly brilliant social satire.

Well, it looks like I’ll need to see All Quiet on the Western Front and Blonde to be complete on the major awards. And forget about the International Feature. The only one I’ve seen is The Quiet Girl.

I thought EO was great and I am seeing Close on Thursday. I really wish they had nominated Holy Spider in that category. I feel like that’s a big omission. That was an incredible film.

I don’t entirely care, but RRR deserved a Best Picture nomination and its director deserved a nomination as well.

I’m glad the big song and dance from it was nominated because now they have to perform it live.

Films I loved that were entirely ignored:

You Won’t Be Alone
The Fire Within <–werner herzog’s documentary!
Jackass Forever <–OK, I know it had no shot, but I haven’t laughed that hard at anything else this year
Pearl ← Mia Goth was robbed!!!

He took something like a 20-year hiatus from acting and one of his first roles back he launches straight to an Oscar nomination. Heckuva story but he really did a spectacular job.

One of the few I have seen, and it deserves the nomination.

I’m torn on this, because the story and characters are just so utterly ridiculous but all the action is absolutely riveting. It’s an exceptional film despite the hamhandedness of the plot.

I’m surprised The Woman King didn’t pick up anything of note; Viola Davis did a stellar job. Likewise, I will continue to maintain that Regina Hall in Honk For Jesus, Save Your Soul should have had a Best Actress nomination, but there was nary a peep in any awards circles about the film. It would be churlish of me to speculate why there’s been so little Oscar buzz about these films.

Of the best pictures I’ve only seen Top Gun and Avatar because I wanted to see them on the big screen. I enjoyed both but they are not Oscar worthy except in the technical categories. I do plan on seeing Everything Everywhere, Banshees and All Quiet on the Western Front. The others don’t interest me.

I’m a bit confused about eligibility anymore. Some streaming movies are eligible and others aren’t. One of the best performances I saw this year was Eddie Redmayne in The Good Nurse. I don’t even know if it was eligible. He’s an Oscar winner but it is my favorite performance of his ever. Unfortunately subtle doesn’t win awards and it was a very subtle performance.

He didn’t take a hiatus. He couldn’t get work. It wasn’t voluntary.

I’ve been such a huge fan since the mid-90s that I’m extremely chuffed at Michelle Yeoh’s recent career renaissance. The Bond movie and then Crouching Tiger may have brought her some mainstream western fame, but there were a lot of years where her credits were like fifth-billed in a Jason Statham movie. Starting with Star Trek: Discovery, she’s been absolutely on fire lately (I’m sad that she took a role in the next Transformers movie, though). So I’m team Michelle all the way for Best Actress.

That said, I suspect that Cate Blanchett may take it, which would be her third win and put her in a pretty exclusive club. Michelle Williams might eke it out as well as The Fabelmans has a lot of goodwill in the industry (I thought it was a misfire, but I’m nobody), and after several nominations people might think it’s Her Turn. So if Michelle Yeoh doesn’t win the statue I’ll be disappointed but not terribly surprised.

And from the same movie, I’d love love LOVE Jamie Lee Curtis to take Best Supporting Actress, but I suspect that the two EEAAO noms might step on each other. My feeling is that Angela Bassett will take it, and honestly I have no problem with that as she’s one of the absolute best out there, and it’s a travesty she hasn’t got more awards hardware already.

My best guesses for the two Actor categories are Austin Butler (I have no horse in that race…it would be a great redemption story for Brandon Fraser, and Bill Nighy is another class act favorite of mine, but I figure it’ll go to the crowd-pleaser) and Ke Huy Quan, though Judd Hirsch could be the upset there.

(My bolding)

But Fire of Love, a documentary on the same couple, was nominated.

She was also passed over in 2018 for her great performance in Support the Girls.

I know. I’m perplexed how to films on the same people came out the same year.

RRR deserves to be on the list for Best Intl feature, at least!

I believe India failed to submit RRR for consideration in the Foreign Language category.

I was hoping for more nominations for She Said as a way for Academy voters to give a big F you to Harvey Weinstein,

You have to have the movie released in theaters. prior to streaming it, in a major city (LA, NYC, Chicago ,etc.) for a certain amount of time. They gave an exception during COVID but I think they dropped that this year. It does look like The Good Nurse was eligible, so presumably it had a short theater release.