2024 Summer Olympics Thread

The Summer Olympics start this month, and a lot of teams in a lot of sports have already qualified.

Let’s start with some news today in men’s 5x5 basketball, where Kawhi Leonard withdrew from the U.S. Olympic team, to be replaced by Derrick White. Leonard was an injury scratch for most of the Clippers’ last month of the season.

Giannis Antetokounmpo (plays for Milwaukee Bucks) will be the flag bearer for Greece, and since Greece is first in the parade of nations, will be 1st flag brearer.

Brian

If an individual sport is popular enough, I suppose we could have a separate thread, but I think we usually do a general thread discussing the Olympics.

I just bought two months of Peacock premium. Cost $25 and gets us all the Olympics and other stuff with no ads. We also get the Paralympics in that time frame.

I just saw Canada and USA play men’s basketball and the USA men have a hugely stacked team. Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant. I presume it is mostly unbeatable. They were very loosey goosey with Canada, just a practice game, and they still won.

[Moderating]
Merged threads.

The death of Kenyan marathoner Kelvin Kiptum last February is of course a tragedy on its own right for his family, friends, and nation, and I’m not making light of it. One of the sad effects of the car accident that took his life is that it robbed the Games of what was shaping up to be an epic duel between Kiptum and the undisputed GOAT of distance running, fellow Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge. Kipchoge, the only man in history to run 26.2 miles in under 2 hours, had held the world record in the marathon, until Kiptum – in only his third marathon – shattered it at the 2023 Chicago Marathon. He finished in 2:00:35, missing the sub-two-hour mark by just 36 seconds. The battle between the experienced veteran and the rising star looked to be one of the most exciting in years, and may have even finally resulted in the elusive 1:59 marathon (Kipchoge’s “Ineos 1:59” effort was not a sanctioned race.)

Does Paris have a ‘plan b’ if bacteria levels are too high in the Seine for the swimming events planned?

Break Dancing is NOT a sport. Just sayin’

Currently bacteria levels seem to fall above or below the standard day-by-day. Marathon swimming and the triathlon are the two swimming events planned for the Seine, the plan is to reschedule those events if that day’s level is too high. The fallbacks if they absolutely cannot get a clean enough day include downgrading the triathlon to a duathlon and moving marathon swimming to the facility where they’re doing rowing.

Shitloads of chlorine.

Metric shitloads of chlorine.

Closer to a sport is, without googling, trying to figure out how it got in there.

Mental Gymnastics! I agree!

Dancing is athletic but not sporty.

But then you have Ice dancing. And all those fancy skiing events, full of trick moves. (WO)
Floor excercise in gymnastics which is basically a dance with some acro.
Didn’t they do Ribbon dancing.

I personally don’t think trampoline is a sport. But that’s just me.

Water sports where they do the synchronized stuff.

Yeah. They pushin’ it.

Still do, I think, as part of “rhythmic gymnastics”.

They even used to paint in the Olympics.

:man_shrugging:

So baseball is not back this year, but will be back in 2028. I wonder if the MLB ever would consider participating. It would be great PR.

The main sport I usually follow is women’s soccer… hoping the USA can bounce back after their worst ever world cup finish. In a group with Australia and Germany. But only 12 total teams, so all the groups are tough.