24: Season 4: Episodes 3-4 (9:00am - 11:00am)

This bugged me too. I don’t see any reason for Jack to show his face.

I was thinking that maybe the writers needed to put that in for later - maybe for plot reasons that terror guy needs to be able to recognize Jack sometime later on. But if that’s true then they could have had the mask come off in a struggle when terror guy tried to spray Jack’s eyes.

But Chloe is awesome. “I was gonna quit anyway!” That is great.

She is dressing a little better this season.

They dealt with that in the teaser for season 4 in the season 3 DVD set.
Driscoll came out and said that she didn’t care as much about the wild shit he’d done in the past because he’d gotten the job done. It was his future reliability she was worried about.

Besides…isn’t that shit supposed to be RELAXING?
“OK…now that you are refreshed and reinvigorated…tell us what we want to know.”

If you choose to do it, I am sure it is relaxing. If you are taken at gunpoint and sat in an uncomfortable chair against your will, I’d wager that it isn’t so relaxing.

Man, sometimes I hate living on the West Coast, all the good comments are taken. Not that that’ll stop me.

I’m starting to like Chloe better too, or at least I haven’t yelled “somebody shoot her” yet.

I so figured Jack was going to hit the store. I looked at it this way, to disable the car or steal it, he would have had to cross the empty parking lot in full view of everyone inside who cared to look up at that moment. Terror Dude is already ramped, the odds of him keeping an eye on his car was pretty high.

On why Jack took off the mask; I think he wanted people to take him seriously. I mean think about your average robbery, the guy is in a mask you might just get out of it, or you’d have people thiking like Terror Guy, trying to get the jump on him. You see the guys face, you’re thinking he just might blo you away and not leave witnesses.

A few comments:
(a) Definite good 24 times so far
(b) I love the character of Chloe. Why are there so few characters in TV/movies who are just somewhat awkward and unpleasant, but not bad or incompetent?
© Did anyone else laugh at “Going through his phone records would take days”. Right. Phone records are stored on punch cards and must be collated by hand, whereas satellites are always there and can be repositioned in real time.

(a) Yes!

(b) I love Chloe. She’s my favorite character, and apparently the only person at CTU who knows how to do ANYTHING. Everyone else needs her help to dial the phone or use the copier. God forbid they should have to do something more complicated and jargon-riddled.

(c) I know! Maybe the folks from *Law & Order * can come by and show them how to do it. It’s a good thing I like this show because it’s fun, not because it’s so intelligently written.

Regarding Jack’s mask…

You take it off because a good chunk of the building you’re robbing is GLASS. Anyone walking by or driving by that sees a man in a convenience store wearing a ski mask will think:

a) They’re having a sale on skis
b) They’re being robbed
c) That poor burn victim has to hide his face because of all the insensitive people in LA

Same thing in the car with MCSET (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Terrorist). And besides, at that point MCSET knows what Jack looks like.

Of course, he probably doesn’t realize that having spent any time in proximity to Jack Bauer means he won’t survive the day.

And who the hell would take a job at CTU? The only guys there that ever seem to survive are the SWAT teams with the full body armor in the helicopters. Once they show up, everyone knows they’re safe…but besides them? No thanks.

-Joe

So how does someone as incompetent as Driscoll get to be head of CTU? I’m not just saying this because we have the benefit of Jack Bauer’s superior wisdom. Rather, I’m saying this because she made some pretty obvious (and pretty major!) mistakes… Stuff like completely ignoring the time discrepancy in the terrorist attacks, and glossing over Chloe’s tip regarding “internet corruption.” Under the circumstances, she sure didn’t give those matters any attention to speak of.

Jack took the mask off because if he hadn’t then the mask would have been on for 80% of the whole episode.

Its not cool to cover up the star’s good looks for that length of time.

Plus there will probably be a plot point later on where the Kalil will recognize Jack.

No, it’s true. SBC makes all that stuff available through a multi-level voice-controlled menuing system.

Am I the only one that thinks the head CTU lady is in cahoots with the terrorists in some way?

Granted, I only started watching the show last week, but still… her behavior ain’t right.

Somebody hasn’t read Book 5 of the Harry Potter series. Stick your head in the sand and kiss up and you’ll be surprised how far you’ll get in government.

Nah, she’s too obviously antagonistic to be an actual rogue.

She’s the new Radioactive Man. (ie, she’ll be the internal antagonist for most of the season, and aFordfocus for suspicion right up until the penultimate act, when she’ll nobly redeem herself and earn Jack’s respect.)

And of course we have the new Manipulating Consultant stepping into the Sherry Palmer template. She doesn’t seem quite as bitchy yet, but that’s only because the Evil is spread out about seven more vertical inches.

[QUOTE=Larry Mudd]
Nah, she’s too obviously antagonistic to be an actual rogue.

She’s the new Radioactive Man. (ie, she’ll be the internal antagonist for most of the season, and aFordfocus for suspicion right up until the penultimate act, when she’ll nobly redeem herself and earn Jack’s respect.)

Except mostly likely she’ll be killed doing it. :wink:

And of course we have the new Manipulating Consultant stepping into the Sherry

Nah. She is going to lose her job because she had someone call LAPD to cancle the call to her house and troubled daughter.

If there’s ever a camera shot of her when she’s NOT wrinkling her brows, I’ll let you know what I think. Maybe she goes underground with Jack, get’s a rack job and ends up looking like Pam Anderson. Stranger things than that have happened on this show. :slight_smile:

The reason Chloe is so more sympathetic this time is that everyone else at CTU is unsympathetic. That wasn’t the case last season.

But “I was going to quit anyway” is classic Chloe. I think I choked on something when I heard her say it.

Something that they are doing WAY WAY TOO OFTEN:
Jack gives order to random person.

Random person hesitates at least two seconds.

Jack SHOUTS the same order to random person.

Ransom person practically wets himself trying to carry out the order as fast as possible.

Okay, maybe having things SHOUTED at you is a novel experience for most civilian types, and so young computer hacker and such are impressed. But…TerroristDudes? C’mon! Give 'em a bit more back bone that giving in the moment Jack raises his voice.

I’m starting to think Jack must have mastered that special Bene Gesserit command voice thingy.