24: Season 8: Episode 7 (10:00pm - 11:00pm)

I don’t even remember why they need to find those rods, again. Somehow it ties in with President Paranoid?

There was a definite whoosh when Jack was stabbed. I think the knife went up and only nicked his lung–didn’t hit any of the other organs.

The dufus bro of the President Paranoid wanted to assassinate him, scuttle the peace talks, take over the country, and start building nukes. But since Jack and Cole saved the older brother, not sure what dufus is planning to do with the rods now. Get a job as an NYC taxi driver and take tourists to LaGuardia and Newark airports in record time with his nuclear powered yellow cab for really big tips?

What are drones? Magic floating cameras?

That’s okay. Jack has a spare lung that will get him through the rest of the day just fine.

and check out this one, too:

I think it was simply due to the sneak approach through sewer tunnels – hence no vehicles approaching the building. Although where those tunnels come OUT at the building, I don’t know – if it was outside, the drone footage should have picked up people at the entrance. If not, then I want to know what kind of plumbing issues that building was expecting, for them to have giant direct deposit lines into the sewers…

Comment:
While there was at least some good Jack action in this one, I simply don’t feel the sense of urgency that we had back in, say… seasons 1-3. The style right now is perhaps more realistic (I mean would Jack really end up getting in a shootout every hour?) in terms of the pace of the leads developing. BUT…

I was thinking about this the other day, and to me, things feel slower because this “threat” doesn’t feel urgent.

For example, season 2… never mind Kim’s ability to get in random trouble, there was a nuclear BOMB that was going to blow up the city later that day. Urgent. Worst case scenario: Don’t find it? The population of a huge city is decimated.

Now? Okay, the first few hours were more urgent – assassination plot in progress. But now, the ‘threat’ is: bad guy wants to buy nuclear materials. Okay… not a good thing, but worst case scenario? We don’t stop the sale, and Farhad ends up with nuclear rods en route to his home country – he can’t really do any true damage with them today. And hey, we KNOW where he’s taking them, right? So get the cooperation of Hassan, and we can always go catch him later if we can’t stop the sale today. No real need for Renee to prostitute herself to Vlad, because we can always go kick Farhad’s ass tomorrow, right? or the next day…

Well, CTU in LA had a nice man-sized hole directly from the sewers into the building covered only by a flimsy metal grate and that was a secure govt facility.

Afterwards I was a little confused because I thought that Jack had heard a truck pulling up and that is why he thought CTU was there. Obviously that didn’t happen.

I agree with you about the sense of urgency in this season. This episode was really a bit of a snoozer and was kind of predictable.

While I think it is good to have a threat last more that two episodes so they don’t have to resort to discovering terrorist contingency plan number 35 to round out the season, you are right that the nuclear rod thing is not very compelling. Really the whole premise that they would smuggle the rods out of Russia (or whatever former Soviet state they are supposedly from) into the U.S. just to smuggle them out again to the Middle East is ridiculous.

Next episode:Jack gets tortured. Yeah, like that’s going to work. Hell, Jack tortures himself worse just to keep up on modern torture techniques.

A car battery to genitals is the only way Jack can get out of bed in the morning nowadays.

I cringed and I laughed simultaneously. Well done.

I haven’t been able to follow this because I work these nights and rarely get to catch up but I caught a few minutes last night and it was all the crap with Starbuck and it really made me not want to watch anymore of the show. I’m glad I’m not the only one who hates that subplot. Maybe they need to get Starbuck and Leoben back together if they want to make her character interesting.

Too late. Leoben has met his usual fate once again. :slight_smile:

Still think this is one of the top 3 seasons they’ve had.

Shouldn’t every Evil Genius know who Jack is now? You think he would automatically be excluded from undercover missions because of his rep.

Also, when I sell my nuclear rods, I NEVER acknowledge strangers who just randomly find out about the rods and have enough money to buy them immediately.

Actually, how many people in the world have enough money to buy something like that yet have stayed under the radar of, not only the Good Guys, but the Bad Guys too?

Okay, so Starbuck hacks her way into the security camera system at the police evidence locker and is able to guide Hillbilly Ex and Cousin Dumbass to the money. But if she could see them, shouldn’t whoever was running security have been able to see them too? Even if there was just that one guard, and he wasn’t watching at the time, wouldn’t it be safe to assume the footage was being recorded? Shouldn’t they at least put on ski masks or something??

Not to mention the fingerprints that they left all over the place. Being an ex-con they are undoubtedly in the system. Of course, one could make the argument that had the two morons not made such a mess, the money might not have been missed until months or years later when it was needed at trial.

Duh! He was in disguise. He was wearing glasses. :smack: :cool:

I like the lack of one preposterous plan laid atop another aspect of this season. Starbuck needs to man up, and I’m waiting for another Leoben to walk into the next scene like nothing happened. :smiley:

As for the crooks, they’ve outdumbed Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels.

There aren’t more of him?
Battlestar 24.

I’m trying to come up with something like, “Jack took out the regeneration ship last season”, but it ain’t comin’.

I thought it was just the sound of a door slamming or something.

Exactly. It appears that Papa Smurf-nov was smart enough to realize the same thing, and sent his Evil Henchmen of Doom[sup]TM[/sup] to take out Vlad, his buddies, and his “buyer” for even calling and asking.