25 Pages of Offensive Words

List of Offensive Words That Should be Avoided (PDF)

Thank you, elmwood, for providing a link to this gem in the “Is the term ‘Indian’ offensive” thread.

As long as I have your attention, let me tell you a little bit about myself. (If you’re easily offended, read no further.)

–I have Amazon Prime and think it’s really great.

–They sell nice fruit cups in the company cafeteria. I usually look for the one that has the most watermelon in it.

–Jamie Lee Curtis is one of my favorite actresses.

–I once took a bite of a bad coconut. I’m queasy just thinking about it.

–I have a stud finder, but it is damn near useless because my walls are plaster over metal mesh.

–I think Russian dressing is pretty revolting.

–My son was really surprised to find out you could play both go fish and old maid with a regular deck of cards.
I guess I’ll be keeping my eye out for a pit thread with my name on it after saying all that stuff.

p.s. Yes, I realize that the list of offensive words only covers the first 15 pages of the document.

And I’m a bisexual poetress. I like babes as well as hunks and have a gay best friend who refers to me as his “fag hag.”

Seriously? I mean, yes, some of those words are offensive. I wouldn’t think of calling someone of Chinese ancestry a “chink,” but some of those… wow. People need to stop being so darned sensitive.
ETA: I think most grey-haired men would like to be known as a “silver fox” … it means that even though he’s going grey (or is grey) he’s still sexy. My husband’s uncle is nicknamed “The Silver Fox” and he loves it. Hmmm…

Page 3:

“Chick:
Flip term referring to a woman.”

Page 5:

“Flip:
A derogatory term of Filipinos or Filipino-Americans”

Clearly they need to administer themselves a stern talking to.

Huh? Every word should be used carefully and only when pertinent.

“Removal of the fender is easier if you use the correct bisexual” doesn’t work, but is it offensive?

At one point when I was in the Navy, we were all instructed not to refer to the training devices that rest on easels as “flip charts” any longer because it was offensive to our Filipino brethren. :rolleyes:

Being offended has become a global hobby. I can think of a number of historical and social changes which have contributed to the tiresome habit.

Puts me in mind of a time I was standing in line to check out a book in the library and took a few moments to browse through it while waiting my turn. I came across an account of a pioneer woman describing in hilarious detail her efforts to capture and decapitate a chicken for her family’s meal and by the time I was face to face with the librarian I was laughing.

When she commented I told her about my grandma arriving home from church on Sunday morning, carefully removing her white gloves, and in her Sunday best, snatching an unsuspecting bird from the yard and with a quick motion, wringing its neck for the fresh chicken dinner of the day.

Nodding in her own remembrance of days past she glanced over my shoulder and sent me an eye flicker which said, “Oopsie!”

I turned to see a horrified twenty-something mother nearly covering her two young sons’ ears in alarm at the murderous story. She shot me an offended look as if to say, “Next you’ll be attacking my innocent children.”

Oh ,dang. Walked right into it, I did. Lady. Where do you think those nuggets that you set before the little darlings come from, anyway?

Notably, the infamous c*nt is absent from that list - perhaps the Pit language policy needs to be rethought? :wink:

Also absent from that list is “kaffir” - feel free to use liberally when you visit South Africa for the World Cup, sure to provoke a reaction!!

Grim

I like this:

From Wikipedia:

“Canuck” is derisive? To imagine all those times I failed to take umbrage at it…

“Dutch treat” is offensive??? Because it “implies that Dutch people are cheap??” No, in my family and circle of Dutch friends, the fact that we hate spending money *proves *that Dutch people are cheap. And proud of it!

Oh, and good, I can still use the word “pussy.”

When visiting Hallifax I dropped into a local internet cafe to send a message home. Thinking to type that I was among the Canucks I first shouted out to the room of young hipsters if that was an offensive term. “No!” was the resounding answer. “You can call us that.”

After a moment of thought I asked, “Then what do you call us folks from the USA?”

“A**holes!” was the answer which came back! :smack:

A very polite and red-faced young man sitting next to me said in a whisper, “We call you Yanks.”

No, didn’t offend me.

Incidently don’t call any Samis Laplanders, either.

Moving thread from IMHO to MPSIMS.

Well, now we know.

Another way our local NHL franchise fails to be properly defensive.*

*Disclaimer: I know nothing about our local NHL franchise, really. Just seems like the sort of thing that other blokes would say.

They left out ‘old bat’. Good. My family is safe.

Note to the board: OTOH, if you refer to me as a stunning, well preserved old dingbat, expect to be served.

Does this one make any sense? I’ve always thought that “disability” was the worst possible choice of descriptor for impairments of function, as the common meaning always implied a complete lack of function. Handicap, on the other hand, always seemed to me to carry the connotation of something that could be overcome.