Women: What term offends you?

Okay, there are hundreds of slang terms for “women”, and I’m sure I needn’t list them all here. What I want to know is, which terms offend women, and why?

Honestly, I’m surprised more women aren’t bothered by “chicks”, a term I often use subconsciously myself. It just seems kind of, I dunno, diminutive to me. Yet, many women I know even call one another “chicks”.

So, what’s your least favorite? Babes? Broads? Femmes? Skirts? Dames? Gals? What?

Usually it’s not words that offend me. However if they are said in a derogatory or condescending tone, I may be offended. On accasion, I have felt miffed by someone calling me a “lady” though… makes me feel as though I need to behave in a dignified manner which automatically brings out my vulgar and/or complete klutz side :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not the term, it’s the context in which it is used.

For example, at work the other day, I heard a VP refer to one of the applicants (to a high-level position, too) as “the girl.” That is offensive.

In Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues, she refers to women as cunts. Not offensive.

It really just depends.

I also feel that it’s not the words themselves that offend me but the context in which they are used. I’m not the slightest bit PC; in fact I sometimes offend people (usually unintentionally) because I have a tendency to speak my mind.

I call myself a girl, mostly because I find it amusing to do so, because I’m 36 years old and so am at least theoretically an adult, plus I have boobies an’ stuff so I’m clearly grown up physically. It doesn’t bother me when others refer to me as a girl, for the most part. However, if, say, my boss called me a girl, that would probably bother me because it would be clearly inappropriate in that context. Same with the other terms.

I’ve always thought “cunt” was a realy ugly word. But I have never read “The Vagina Monologues” so I can’t comment of Eve Ensler’s use of the word.

I reserve that word for only the women who I feel are disgusting, repulsive and disgrace to the gender.

To me, ‘cunt’ is what I call my vagina. It’s a good thing. I wouldn’t ever use it as an insult.

Context is all.

Cunt isn’t so bad- its all context. Some women merit these offensive terms, some don’t…

I too agree its the context. Though referring to an adult female as “girl” sort of annoys me sometimes. Anyway- doesn’t really apply to me since I am a girl. :slight_smile:

I usually call girls “chicks” (affectionately) and they never seem to mind. When i want to be a little more abrasive (usually when im drunk and usually when i was younger) i call them ‘skirts’. Personally, if i was a chick, i would want to be called a chick. It indicates that you’re a girl with a slight underlying message that you are attractive, but its not in any way a come-on so anyone can use it.

Cisco, I assume you don’t have much social life.

Max, you are probably aware that members of gender/ethnic/racial/whatever groups have terminology that they can use among themselves but is highly offensive if someone outside the group uses it on them. “Chicks” is like that (at least for “chicks” over, say 25 years old).

I think “cunt” is a horrible word, and I don’t use it in any context, but to each his (or her) own, I suppose.

The word I hate the most in reference to women is “woman.” I was friends with a guy that called my best friend that in jest one day, and she smacked him right in the face. I thought he probably had it coming.

The word “cunt” inspires loatheing in me for the speaker.

Honestly, I wish there was a better casual term for women. I’d like something analogous to “guy”. “Chick” and “lady” have too many negative connotations for me, but saying “woman” all the time is a little clunky for informal conversation. Does anyone have a good word? Do I have to make one up?

I don’t use the “c” word EVER; IMO, it’s a truly nasty word.

I also dislike being called a “girl” at work. I work as a secretary, and whenever I hear myself or another secretary referred to as “the girl” (as in “Get the girl to do it.”) it shows a lack of respect and understanding for the valuable, legitimate jobs that women do.

And “ma’am” drives me crazy, as it’s reserved for use by people who think I’m being difficult (which I am, sometimes. And sometimes I just get that way after being called “Ma’am”).

even sven, how about Girman? Wirl?

[george carlin]

So which one of you cupcakes wants to go make me dinner and then gimme a blowjob?

[/george carlin]

I live in NC, you live in OH, look outside of your bubble sometime. I have a perfectly normal social life.

The only term that’s never really sat well with me is “broads.” It just SOUNDS derogatory.

Then again, I couldn’t ever see the c-word NOT being offensive…

Jeez Louise! I didn’t mean to inspire a discussion of the c-word! :slight_smile: The Vagina Monologues is a one-woman show–very excellent. I highly recommend it. It really changed my view on a lot of words. But I would hardly use the term “cunt” in normal circumstances. “Hey, I met your mom the other day. She seems like a real nice cunt.” Anyhoo…

Gal?

Some of my Irish friends call ladies ‘birds’ and it is usually used as a term of endearment (as in, ‘She’s a top bird’). Anyone find this one offensive?

Wait, what? Does it get more neutral than that? Or are we talking more along the lines of direct address, like, “Woman, fix me a turkey pot pie!” or something?

I too fail to see the problem with the word “woman”, unless I am missing the context (not fond of the spelling “womyn”, though).
Count me as another anti-“c” word.
I have a acquaintance (would NOT call him a friend for this) who refers to women as “bints” - pisses me off every time.

As far as “Ma’am”, I found it more of a regionalism: when I was living in upstate New York, students who used the terms “Yes, ma’am” and “No, ma’am” usually did so in a samrt-ass and disespectful tone of voice. When I moved to the South, it took me awhile to get used to hearing the term as a matter of respect for someone. Speaking to some friends (several generations of native Virginians and Carolinians [N&S]), they informed me that it was the way they were brought up. EVERY sentence and request ended in "ma’am or “sir”. I imagine how rough it was for the two boys who had moved from Virginia to our district in New York, using those phrases in school (as they were taught) and getting flack for it. Guess it’s a cultural thing.