3:10 to Yuma or Shoot 'em Up?

Going to see a movie tomorrow (wife’s doing a baby shower for a friend, and I will NOT be in the house for that level of estrogen). I have the two choices listed in the title. Any advice? Please don’t recommend different movies - it’s going to be one of those two. Dio, I’m kind of relying on you having seen one of them already.

I saw The Brothers Solomon last night and man alive, was that a mistake.

I picked the exact same two films. I think I am going for Shoot 'em Up.

I’d pick “Shoot’em Up” over a remake of a classic western It looks like a light, possibly funny, action flick as opposed to a deadly serious one which is another reason it gets my vote (and I’m a chick ;)*)
eta: * a chick who prefers action flicks to tearjerkers

“How yew doin’”? :wink:

I think it depends on the mood you’re in. If you’re in the mood for some drama, story, and action then “3:10 to Yuma”.

If you just want mindless, almost comedic action, then “Shoot 'em up”.

I haven’t seen either, but I saw a preview and some behind the scenes stuff on “Shoot em Up”, and it looks hilarious (this is what I’m in the mood for today).

I’m going to see Shoot 'em up just as soon as I get the chance. Today and tomorrow I have plans so it will have to wait until next weekend.

I saw Shoot em Up last night, and it was awesome. It is in fact a movie with mindless, nonstop, and comedic action. To give you an idea of the movie, the action sequences include seemingly hundreds of henchmen getting killed, some of them being killed by carrots (Clive Owen’s character has a fondness for eating carrots), and a scene where Clive Owen delivers a baby in the midst of a shoot out. So if a movie breaking the laws of physics and common sense bothers you, then probably not the best movie for you, but if you want to see a ridiculous, over the top, awesome action movie, then I would recommend Shoot em Up.

I do plan on seeing 3:10 to Yuma, since it’s gotten really good reviews and sounds like a good movie and has some great actors in it, but on a Friday night, I was much more interested in seeing an action movie that I didn’t have to think too much about.

And anyrose, I’m totally with ya as a chick who prefers action movies. I knew that with Shoot Em Up, even if I didn’t like the movie, Clive Owen is ridiculously hot, and he would make up for any deficiences in the movie. And I was right- he was so kickass and so hot in the movie. One of my favorite scenes was:

There was one scene in a bus station where he had to create a distraction. There was a woman threatening to spank her 8-year-old boy who was acting up. So to create the distraction, Owen yelled at the lady about how she better not hit her kid, and asked her how’d she like it if someone did it to her. So then he grabbed her and started spanking her! The lady didn’t appreciate that, but I was thinking the actress probably did. Or at least I know I would have in her place.

Saw Yuma. Damn fine cast and acting.

Darn it, Deth, you had to go and break the trend.

Wasn’t he that gentleman’s valet in Gosford Park? You’re right, that guy is hothothot. If you haven’t seen Gosford Park because the genre doesn’t appeal to you, you should, because Clive Owen is terrific in it. He makes a wife-beater shirt look classy. I can see how his intensity as seen in GP made him attractive to the action movie genre.

I’m planning on seeing 3:10 to Yuma as I’m a big Russell Crowe fan and I’ve read that he does a deliciously evil bad guy.

[QUOTE=ArizonaTeach]
…(wife’s doing a baby shower for a friend, and I will NOT be in the house for that level of estrogen)…QUOTE]
Given the possible length of this event, might it not be possible for you to see BOTH of them?

I haven’t seen *Shoot 'Em Up * yet, but I have this sneaking suspicion that it will be included in my “Cult Favorites” category along with *Death Race 2000 * and *Vanishing Point * and Gumball Rally.

I have seen Gosford Park, which is an excellent movie and Clive Owen was excellent (and extremely hot) in it. I like all genres of movies, it’s just that on a Friday night after a long week of work, the kind of movie I’m most interested in is a fun action movie I don’t have to think too hard about. And Shoot Em Up fit the bill quite nicely.

I just got back from 3:10 to Yuma, and it is also an excellent movie. It had some slow parts, but also excellent acting all around, a good script, good action sequences, and a somewhat unexpected (at least for me) ending. Russell Crown was a really good bad guy. He did the evil villian part quite well, but without overdoing it, like it could have been so easy to do. And I know the Oscars don’t always recognize those that should be recognized, but there will be no justice at all if Christian Bale doesn’t get nominated for either 3:10 to Yuma or Rescue Dawn.

Pick a museum. Any* museum. It’ll be better than either of those movies, and be cheaper.

*Museum of Textile Inspired Animation included!

All right, nice threadshitting!

I ended up at Shoot 'Em Up, and it was pretty much exactly as advertised. Lots of gore, unbelievable (not in the sense of awe, but in the sense of “What the hell?”) action pieces, and some female nudity. So, yeah. Manly film.

Warning to some of the more sensitive Dopers, spoilered:

One of the Big Bads is a corrupt, hypocritical, Democrat Senator running for President!!! Gasp!

I’ve seen 3:10 to Yuma and Shoot 'em Up is scheduled for next weekend. 3:10 is definitely not a waste of time. It’s a really solid western with some very good acting. Russell Crowe really stands out as a charismatic villain. His charater in the movie is kind of “celebrity” outlaw in the vein of Jess James or Butch Cassidy. Part of what’s interesting about the movie is how Crowe’s character consciously plays to that celebrity and uses it to his advantage with some of his star struck captors. What’s also interesting is that he’s believable as someone who is already regarded as a legend, not because of any physical feats or derring do, but just because of the size of his personality and his disarming to make people like him in spite of themselves.

Christian Bale is good in the movie as well, and so is Peter Fonda.

If I have a criticism of the movie, it’s that the ending depends on a twist that may or may not be entirely believable, but that’s a small quibble.

I guess the decision on whivh of these two movies to see just depends on whether you’re in the mood for something serious or something gleefully over the top and cheesey.

I saw 3:10 to Yuma this weekend too. I loved it. My husband was supposed to go with me and wasn’t able to at the last minute, so I’ll be seeing it again next weekend when he can go – and I don’t mind a bit.

Shoot 'Em Up looks fun too, but not in the same way.

I’m looking forward to both, but my girlfriend hates Westerns and violent movies in general, so I’ll be going alone (and most likely having to wait until they hit the dollar theater).