30 Day Song Challenge, number 8: A Song You Know All the Words To.

Known all the words to that one since 2001.

Idle, you have a backslash at the end of your link that causes it to not work. C/P’ing and “Open Link In New Tab” do work.

I love this band and they’ve been unjustifiably shunned in the US. They’re pretty big in Europe and Asia. This is one of their most known songs but they have so many other very good ones.

Toto - Africa

This song is actually the second song I thought of that I know all the words to, but it’s the subject of my first thread.

The Cramps - Call of the Wighat

I could cheat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdMTl9zHQ9Y

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

But I won’t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

I had to go through a few 80s songs before finding one I still remembered. Footloose.

How are we defining, “Know all the words”, I wonder? I can’t tell you the words to most songs I love if you asked me to, but I can sing along once they start playing - the music triggers my memory.

“Soul Finger” - the Bar Kays

“Can’t You See” - The Marshall Tucker Band

There aren’t too many songs I like that I *don’t *know all the words to, especially now that we can easily look them up. So I’ll mention one I had to figure out and memorize before the internet: American Pie.. That is one long ass song for a little kid to remember.

Gold Digger

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - YouTube Because I lived near the Great Lakes and had seen the big iron boats up close on a number of ocassions, so the lyrics stuck with me.

It’s the end of the world as we know it.

I may have spent more time than is reasonable on this one back in college.

For some reason, back when I was in high school, I glommed onto a lot of 60s music. And the first one that I found soooooo profound that I just had to learn the lyrics to, was Simon and Garfunkle’s “Sound of Silence.”

Ha! This song is playing right now and I was just thinking about it in relation to this thread. I don’t think I know all the words to this one.

Wow, as a performing musician, I know the words to a lot of songs, so I’ll go for the one I learned most recently. I’m performing Battle of Evermore next month with a friend for his daughter’s wedding. The daughter is very much into all thing LOTR, and the dad is a bang-up mandolin player (I play acoustic guitar), and we both sing, so we decided to go for it. I’ve known the music for years, but never really took time to memorize the lyrics. It’s a beauty. Should be a fun wedding.

I know all the words to lots of songs – some, in languages I don’t even speak. But this one I’ve known for over 55 years.

In high school my best friend and I learned all the words to Dre & Snoop’s “Nuthin’ But a G Thang.” I still know it by heart.

“America” - Simon and Garfunkel

And not only do I know all of the words (and have since my teens), I also sing them quite well too.

Zip City Drive-By Truckers

“Keep your drawers on, Girl
‘cause it ain’t worth the fightin’
by the time you drop 'em, I’ll be gone
and you’ll be right were they fall the rest of your life”

Not sure what to choose here, so I just went with something I always like to sing along with: Bright Eyes - Bowl of Oranges.

Glen Campbell - “Rhinestone Cowboy”. Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy (Official Music Video) - YouTube
It used to be a sing-along we’d do on car trips.
“Gettin’ cards and letters from people I don’t even know…”

Good call on the MTB. I could have referenced “This Ol’ Cowboy”, but the Glen popped in my head first.