30 Days: My So Called Life as a Muslim

Did anybody else see 30 Days tonight? I didn’t see the first episode so I don’t know how this episode compares.

First off: W. Va. Christian guy is a doofus. How on Earth can you not know that Islam, Judaism and Christianity all derive from the same religious tradition? (I won’t go into whether the God of Christianity and Allah are the same as that’s a whole other debate, but this guy seemed surprised that Christians and Jews were mentioned in the Qur’an.)

Also, while I completely understand why a devout Christian wouldn’t want to say a prayer in Arabic praising Muhammad, why didn’t they compromise and rather than have him stand in the corner contemplating his navel 5 times a day have him go off to himself and say a Christian prayer? Woulda worked for me.

As for having to take your shoes off at the airport, I’m a blue eyed fairskinned blonde who dresses like any American slob when he flies and I always have to take off my shoes and belt in the airport and I get wanded about half the time. (The low point: the time my pants fell down in the Albuquerque airport, but thank Allah for boxer briefs.)

A couple of things I thought were somewhere between ironic and disrespectful to Islam:

—picturing Muhammad (as a cartoon character, no less) when Islam does not believe in representations of humans in general and Muhammad in particular

—having a liquor company as sponsor of the episode

Also, the host stated (in the same cartoon) that the difference twixt Jews and Christians is that Christians and Jews both believe that God will send His Son as a Messiah, but Christians accept Jesus as the Messiah and Son of God while Jews are “still waiting for the Messiah and Son of God to come”. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but do Jews believe the Messiah is the Son of God? I thought that was a uniquely Christian concept (though I could be wrong).

Curious to read other people’s thoughts on the episode.

It comes on in 15 minutes for me, so I’ll post here once I’ve seen the episode. But I saw the first episode and I definitely enjoyed it. (Morgan Spurlock spends 30 days living on minimum wage, and I thought it was pretty insightful, and as a college student I could definitely identify. But at one point, he’s really disappointed that he got charged a $300 fee for using the emergency room. Well, duh! Don’t go to the emergency room if you’ve just got a sore wrist!) I think it’s a great idea for a TV show, and I can’t wait to see more episodes.

I’ve seen the two first shows (Minimum Wage and Fountian of Youth) and thought they were both great shows. I’ve got tonights on the Tivo and haven’t watched it yet.

I think he’s doing a good job with these but sadly I think the people who need to learn the points Morgan is making won’t bother to watch the show.

If you head over to the website for the show and read the messageboard you’ll know what I mean. It’s ugly.

After seeing the episode, I think this is a show that needs to be made. One time I was at a restaurant with a friend and the subject of Islam came up. He’s an otherwise intelligent, open-minded guy, but the first thing he said was “So, let me get this straight…the terrorists that want to kill us, are they all Muslim?”
“That’s not really what Islam is all about…”
“So, wait, do they believe that Christianity is bad? Or that Americans are bad?”
“Are you serious? You really know that little about Islam?”
I give him credit for at least asking questions and wanting to know more, but sheesh! You should at least know which religion “Five pillars” refers to. The problem is that he doesn’t know any Muslims and neither do any of his friends, so all he knows about the religion comes from stereotypes and misinformation. And he’s not alone; I was downright angry after seeing the interviews they did on the show with people who said “Oh yeah? Well, who was responsible for 9/11 huh?” and who couldn’t get their heads around the fact that that’s not what the religion is. It made me sad because I know for every person they interviewed on the show, there are thousands of people who share their beliefs. :frowning:

I suspect the cartoon was made for the type of uninformed people who were being interviewed by Spurlock, and he thought the descriptions had to be put in the simplest possible terms.

Um, I don’t think that’s what Jews believe. The jewish messiah is expected to be fully human, and not the son of God, IIRC. Certainly there are more knowledgeable dopers here on the topic that can correct/elaborate at need.

I didn’t watch the show, figuring it would be “dumb C’tian learns & grows by devoting himself to the religion of peace for a month”, but hearing there was a cartoon makes me regret the decision.

RE Messiah/Son of God- Jews don’t believe Messiah will be the “Son of God” as a semi/Divine being taking on human flesh, but only in the sense that “Son of God” is a legit title for a faithful Israelite or the Davidic King (“son of God”, rather than “Son of God”.)

I very much enjoyed this show. It leaves me confounded that people can openly know so little about Islam, yet assume the worst of it and it’s adherents. I suppose I’ve forgotten that most people are not willing to learn about any other way of life, belief structure, or culture that is outside their sphere of what is “normal”.

I was glad that he (the Christian) used Eric Rudolph and Timothy McVeigh as counter examples when asked about terrorists being indicative of all Muslims. I was also surprised that the Asian fellow was taking him to task about the violence of all Muslims- he probably wouldn’t appreciate it at all if somebody assumed because he’s Asian he was a VietCong or one of Mao’s enforcers or the son of somebody who bombed the Arizona and you’d think that as a fellow minority he’d be a bit more compassionate about stereotyping.

I thought the Christian came off well, being respectful of his hosts while remaining true to his own beliefs. I think the heated discussion on why Arabs in America don’t “apologize” for September 11 was the best part of the show.

Say what you will about us (for those who think anyone who doesn’t know what religion the five pillars refers to is an idiot—sheesh!), but my husband and I learned a ton by watching this show. We’ve never been those Muslim=terrorist kind of people, and knew that their religion was really about peace, but knew little else about the religion. Out here in the middle of nowhere, there’s very little opportunity to meet Muslims. We both found what we learned extremely fascinating, and were both appalled (yet, sadly, not that surprised) at how ignorant the people Morgan interviewed were (even more ignorant than us!). We also loved the show’s concept, and will be sure to watch again next week.

Which is about a homophobic Marine who agrees to live with a gay man in the Castro district of S.F… That should be interesting. (Personally I’d have opted for a more middle-of-the-road gay guy- midtown Atlanta, perhaps, or even a couple of out accountants living in MediumCity, YourState, but the extreme is better for ratings.)

Yeah, the next one ought to get me really riled up. In the previews the homophobic Marine was in (I assume) a gay bar, and made the comment, “This is disgusting” or something to that effect. I have the feeling I’m going to want to jump into the TV and strangle the guy. There are a few people I’d love to chain to my couch (not for that, you pervs) and watch it with me.

Man, I really wanted to see this, as I’m from Dearborn and you don’t see Dearborn featured in too many TV shows.

Unfortunately, the hotel I’m at has the worst cable ever (9 channels). Guess I’ll have to wait for the DVD.

Happy

I thought it was ridiculous that it took two weeks for someone to finally give him a translation of the prayer, especially if he kept asking for it (The first Imam bugged me, “it’s the same thing,” well, no. He needed to do a better job of explaining both the similarities and the differences instead of just brushing it all over.)

I liked the segment on the call to prayer.

For a totally vapid comment, I wish we had one of those Dearborn Arab clothing stores near where I live. Middle Eastern clothing just looks so comfortable. (My mother’s Pakistani neighbor actually gave her a couple of his outfits because she’d complimented them- the problem is that he’s 5’4 and about 120 lbs and both of us were that size in utero.)

I hope I got it on DVDR last night since I don’t stay up that late normally. I haven’t watched it yet, but if you shoot me your address I can send you the disk if you don’t mind sending it back.

I don’t think the cartoon guy was supposed to be Mohammed, but just a guy reading the Koran.

I thought the show very engrossing. I started off disliking the Christian guy and I was annoyed by his ignorance, but I gave him credit for sticking with it and really trying to learn something. Some of the best scenes were when he ultimately ended up defending Islam from people he would have agreed with a month earlier. I was appalled by the knee-jerk bigotry and stupidity of a lot of the non-Muslims who were interviewed. It was ridiculous the way people ran away from the Christian guy like he was a terrorist when he going around with the petition.

I did think it was a little misleading in how it presented the Jewish view of the Messiah, and I also thought they could have gone into more detail about the commonalities of Abrahamic religions (they could have mentioned that Muslims believe in the virgin birth of Jesus, for instance) but I guess there’s only so much you can do in a one hour show.

Next week should be interesting, but I agree the purpose might be better served by placing the homophobic Marine in a less cliched environment.

This seems like a good place to use “!?”, rather then just “?”

That was my response too when I learned it. In Islam, Jesus is revered as a great prophet and they do believe he was born of a virgin. They just don’t believe he was God.

They also don’t believe he rose from the dead, if I’m not mistaken.