32" LCD TV Died!-ONE Day AFTER Warranty Expired!

My wife and I were watching TV the other night-then we smelled a burning ododr-I knew right away-its the smaell made by integrated circuits plastics when they burn. The one-year -plus -one day TV died! I know, we bought an off brand (Scott)-made in China with cheap components.
My question: are these “off” brands a big risk? Would we be better off buying a recognized brand (Philips, Sony, etc.0-or are they all built in a sweatshop factory in China? :smack:

Somewhere, a statistician is patting himself on the back.

2008 is a leap year, so wouldn’t it be one year and two days? :wink:

You’re going to go through with the warranty procedure, aren’t you? Unless your TV was on 24/7, it should last longer than a year. Don’t give up.

I don’t know where TV’s are made (or if that makes a difference), but I went by Consumer Reports recommendations for the last two I bought. One lasted more than ten years with no repairs needed, and we’re in our sixth year with the current one.

Go to where you bought it, explain the situation. If they try to put you off, get aggressive. Don’t talk to a sales drone, ask for the store manager. This thing shouldn’t have crapped out that soon. Use terms like “latent defects” and “poor workmanship” and “intermittant use”.

That’s close to what I was going to say.

As for hassling the store, they only have to take it back if not functional at purchase or not what they represented the product to be. All warranty sales are handled by shipping to the manufacture these days, unless you bought an extended warranty or service plan. Sorry it broke, that sucks.

Still, he’d better go and do some bitching. Things like this tend to work out in the customers favor if you are annoying enough about it.

Make a big deal about the smoke smell and how it’s a fire hazard That, when combined with the fact it’s only outside warranty by a day should force them to repair it.

(I used to work in CS for a large videogame company and we would always repair a product for free if it threatened physical harm via smoke, fire, electrical hazards, etc. Companies hate potential lawsuits)