4/7 X-Files...WTF?

Now, don’t be dissing “The Post-Modern Frankenstein.” C’mon, where in all The X-Files are you going to find a sweeter ending than Mulder & Scully taking “the monster” (whose Cher obsession came from her role in the movie Mask as Rocky Dennis’ mother) and about half the townspeople to see Cher in concert?

That’s probably my second favorite episode, right behind “Jose Chung’s ‘From Outer Space.’”

I thought this episode was pretty thin and forced. I agree the Jose Chung is the best episode ever, not just because it is funny, but it is also relevant in it’s own way, tackling the issue of subjectivity in eyewittness accounting of events, esp. with respect to aliens.

“Jose Chung” and “Clyde Bruckman” are great eps, no doubt about it. But they didn’t appear with just 6 episodes left and the following plot lines left hanging:

1. That black-oil/virus thing has to be dealt with
  2. Krycheck (sp!) and CSM (remember them?) They ain’t dead
  3. Search for Mulder
  4. Alien Bounty Hunters
  5. Smallpox vaccines and how they tie into all this
  6. Super-soldiers
  7. Aliens who write our religious texts on the hulls of their spaceships
  8. What’s wrong with William?
  9. When is that new FBI bastard going to get his comeuppance?
  10. Alien Invasion! Alien Invasion! Alien Invasion! Hell, it is what drove the movie and the first 3-5 seasons. Where the hell is the Alien Invasion and why doesn’t anybody care about the impending doom?

But no, we get yet another waste of an episode that does nothing to tie up any of the hundreds of loose ends that remain after 9 years of his “playing it by ear” theory of producing that C. Carter apparently follows.

Any wonder I’m disappointed?

For the record, that title should be “The Postmodern Prometheus,” punning on the subtitle of Shelley’s Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus .

I agree that this episode was a miss; they didn’t really seem to know which way they were going (comedy or drama). I have a feeling that the writer probably had a very specific joke/reference/whatever in mind as far as the “statement” to be made by the episode, but that it was so esoteric or subjective or personal that it just couldn’t be adequately expressed in this show.

I don’t to know everything! Or I don’t expect to know everything for the final… But I wouldn’t mind maybe a book or a TV special that took us behind the viewpoint of the agents, and told to story factual with all the answers so many people seek… a clarity story that doesn’t have to be complex, just the straight dope. So, I’m 50/50 on wanting answers… I can’t stand people who don’t want any answers and only watch the show for stupid reasons like Mulder and Scully getting together. Not that that reason can’t be one of the reasons you watch, but that’s not all the show is.

There are even more Q’s than you list. I really think CC has lost it. The show was so great, and then it got too comicbookish, and too whimsical with stories that are now pretty much out of the realm of science. However, I can’t really diss the show until I see the end, and that includes movies where we MAY get more answers. One thing I’m sick of is CC speaking for the fans, or giving his own oppinions/excuses for the shows direction. “I think it’s a lot more fun to raise questions, than answer them”. To bad the question is, “What the hell am I watching!?” He also now claims that some things are not meant to be rationalized by science… which contradicts what he once said in the beginning of the show where it was a least LOOSELY rational/explainable.

However… My fav. movies at times start off bad, until the end of the movie put the begging into perspective… you then love the beginning because you understand it. So who knows… maybe this dedication I have for the show will turn out to be worth it after all. It’s not about answers really… just meaning.
CaptMurdock
“The Postmodern Prometheus,” wasn’t bad… I was just saying that if you didn’t think this weeks show looked like an XF, then you wouldn’t like “The Postmodern Prometheus”.

I agree with everything JohnT said above, about wrapping up years of loose ends.
However, my guess is that this week’s (weak) episode was written/taped before it was 100% decided to end X-Files this season.
I have read that even though the TV series is ending soon (and sadly, especially after this episode, maybe it is time) there are still plans to go ahead with the filming of another full length feature film. If this is the case, does that mean the “last episode” will only feed into the next film?
The truth may be out there, but so is Chris Carter…let’s hope he understands the concept of “END”.

I liked this week’s episode.

It’s not for everyone, but I know a lot of people who liked it. I liked this week’s episode.

It’s not for everyone, but I know a lot of people who liked it.

Sorry… I have to spell check, then cut and paste… and I did it twice.