60 seconds between searches? For reals?

This strikes me as a recent development. Or have I just been out of it for quite some time?

Just noticed this very thing myself!

An actually advance! Yay!

How long has it been? 10 years? Since the 2-minute limit was imposed, on the (apparently flawed) supposition that server problems were caused by too-frequent searches?

We’re trying out a lower search time to see what happens. It was changed three days ago.

Let us know if you see any issues.

I just saw dogs and cats living together.

Nice! I thought I noticed the difference. I was trying to find Facebook threads today.

In the past, I would have to do something else between searches. After a minute or so, I’d get involved with the new thing I was doing and forget the search, then have the browser time-out.

Today, I was able to get the search done without losing my train of thought.

Thanks for the improvement.

I, for one, am very happy about this and will gleefully click on one (1) advertising link.

Edit: The advertising link didn’t work. It was some Amazon Hunger Games Store. And clicking it did nothing. Oh well, I tried.

Down to 45 seconds! Not seeing any problems, only benefits.

I like it.

No big reason, just cool.

Thanx

Alta Vista it ain’t.

But at least it isn’t Yahoo.

It’s so exciting, seeing the time drop! I’m so excited by this that I’ve set up bots to ping the servers with searches several thousand times a second so that I can monitor the time between allowed searches dropping steadily.

Uhhh, maybe if you try NOT doing that…

Looks like it’s down to 45 seconds now.
ETA, err, I guess it was down to 45 seconds a few days ago.

I wonder if this is related to the ending of Cecil’s column? A “let’s start to improve the SDMB” sort of decision. Either way, it’s welcome.

I think it was actually ecg who suggested the experiment, not TubaDiva, so it’s not directly connected to Ed stepping down.

If there are no issues I hope the experiment continues all the way down to zero. It would be nice to join the rest of the internet.

Speak for yourself, I come here to avoid the rest of the internet.

Wow! Thanks much!

Let me repeat my old suggestion: Do a little white lie (pretend the limit is 50 secs instead of 45) when you perform the arithmetic for the error message. It is really annoying to see:
This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between searches. Please try again in 1 seconds.

30 seconds seems to be working well. Hardly ever see that “try again in … seconds” message any more. The other feature that seems new is that if I do see that message (e.g., I accidentally clicked “new posts” twice), the browser’s back button takes me to my previous search, instead of a “no posts” error message. Much appreciated!