Any reconsideration of the two minute search interval?

The two minute search interval was instituted years ago, when the SDMB server had all the computing power of a Raspberry Pi. Since those dark years where random brownouts, slowdowns, and crashes were all a part of the SDMB experience, the site’s performance has improved considerably. No, really.

Despite being hosted on what I assume is modern hardware, the two minute search interval persists. I’m made painfully aware of this every time I make a typo in the search form, and have to wait while a photon travels about 22,354,000 miles (35,975,000 open-minded and tolerant European units of distance) before I can attempt another search. Have the powers that be considered dropping the interval between searches to something more reasonable?

I’d like to see a 30 second interval. More of a speed bump to prevent hyper-searching.

Fwiw, I also find the 2 minute window to be excessive and annoying, especially when the aforementioned typo ensues.

Just to get it out of the way. How to search the SDMB using Google. I only ever use this anymore.

Won’t someone think of the hamsters?

The hamsters need to toughen up.

I get annoyed when I inadvertently double click and am incumbered by the wait.

The Google search will not eliminate all incidence of the two minute wait, such as double-clicking ‘new posts’ will it ?

Isn’t this on the same level as asking for longer than 5 minutes to edit posts, or doing something about Zombie threads? That is to say… it comes up every few months and the answer is always the same: Your request is very important to us. But no fucking way.

I don’t recall any mention of it being important :slight_smile:

Seriously though, I understand the frustration/annoyance but I’d rather see the mods use their time for other stuff when there’s an easy Google fix.

I haven’t paid much attention to the threads on this subject, but the two minute thing annoys me.

So, is there a way for the admin to easily change that? Is the only problem the impact on the server with more searching? I ask that because I think my cell phone could serve faster than whatever this runs on.

So you seriously believe it’s less trouble for every Doper to learn the clumsy google syntax (or more realistically, a small percentage to learn the clumsy google syntax, and the rest to continue waiting two minutes per typo), than for one person to change “120” to “30” in a config file?

Assuming that there was a reason not to do so before the awareness of the Google fix, yes.

I think instead of changing the search interval, we just need to change the SDMB motto to better set expectations. For example:

THE STRAIGHT DOPE
Where technology goes to die

or

THE STRAIGHT DOPE
We’ll get to your request
(It’s taking longer than we thought)

Leave the search at 2 minutes but remove the limit for any search following one that returned no results. We had this before.

Without saying that this is something they should do — it being entirely up to them — you are severely overestimating the time it takes to alter a setting — or add an extension — in vBulletin. Two minutes to effect a change would be overkill.

Any time spent reaching that decision can be long indeed; but even then, expressing an opinion for a vote really isn’t onorous unless one has a moderatator who loves to object to stuff for the sake of objecting to stuff.

For those interested, I posted the following in a similar thread a while back. You can use your browser’s toolbar to search the SMDB via Google. No weird syntax to learn/remember.

The Google search that many are suggesting replace the SDMB search does not seem well-suited to the search I do often - checking threads where I’ve posted say, in the last five days. Google advanced search lets you opt for a search interval, but its gradations are very coarse, something like last day, last week, last month, and last year. I prefer the flex of the SDMB search in that regard. And, since Google does not present the results in chronological order, there’s no quick workaround (for example, if Google gave them in chronological order, then I could simply search for my name and review the results for whatever interval I was interested in)

So, count me in with those who would ask for a much shorter wait time for the SDMB search to reactivate.

Why not just automatically subscribe to each thread you post in (with no email notification). Then clicking User CP will bring up a list of your subscribed threads that have new posts. No searching needed.

I did not know that (but, then again, I’ve only been here for 13 years). Thank you!

That will work, but only until the ongoing read/unread glitch kicks in.

Not really. At one time, the SDMB had a much shorter interval between searches. IIRC, the two minute search interval was put into place when the SDMB remained on a slow server even as traffic and activity increased. Searches apparently took up a lot of processor power, and back then, when the SDMB was operating on a server with all the power of a Chinese knockoff “iFone”, every little thing that could relieve server load helped.

Most message boards have very short intervals between searches; from no delay to 10 seconds or so. How easy it it to change? Very.

It’s not like the two minute interval between searches is some cherished part of SDMB culture, and that changing it – provided the server can handle it – is akin to introducing avatars, animated smileys, or something like that.