666 - The Mark of the Beast

>According to one theory floating around the 'net, if you >take BILL GATES 3 and convert to ASCII values, you get 66 >+ 73 + 76 + 76 + 71 + 65 + 84 + 69 + 83 + 3 = 666. As >folklorist Bill Ellis points out, the only problem is that >neither 3 nor III has the ASCII value 3. But you can bet >that detail wouldn’t bother the Antichrist, and I say it >shouldn’t bother us.
>
>–CECIL ADAMS

Bill Gates is hardly the antichrist, since not only does the ASCII value of “3” not equal 3, but also the ASCII values of the two spaces in “BILL GATES 3” add 64 (32 each - spaces do not have an ASCII value of 0) to the total. “BILL GATES 3” totals 778 by my count.

Here’s an interesting thing, though. If you add up the ASCII values of the characters in “al gore”, what do you get? That’s right – 666!!! Also, if you add a happy face icon to the end of Bill Clinton’s name and capitalize it like so – “CLINTON :)”, again adding up the ASCII values in that string gives you 666.

Spooky!

Don’t say I didn’t warn you…

-Scott

Welcome to the SDMB, and thank you for posting your comment.
Please include a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the straight dope web site.
To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in your post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at this link:

Do Hitler, Bill Clinton, and Bill Gates bear the mark of the beast? (28-Jul-1995)

I made a quick n dirty CGI script that tries to derive 666 from your name using a few methods. One of the ones used is the one the questioner in the article uses (commented on to a further degree in the CSICOP article I link to on the CGI main page). Didn’t bother to add ASCII derivations though.
http://www.cs.cuc.edu/~dpomery/beast.html

If you don’t see anything in white on the results page, it’s cause the script couldn’t find a 666 using the sequences it tried.
Ok, it isn’t the most userfriendly interface…

Well, no surprise here! Using my first name (IRL) and my last name (IRL) the website found several ways (two for the first name, one for the last name) of making my name add up to 666.

Interesting, Kyber… “Jesus” gets two hits, but “Rushdie” doesn’t get any. Kind of makes you wonder, eh?

Incidentally, as long as you’re not worried about capitalization, and ignore spaces, your script does, in fact, handle ASCII. It’s just a special case of “straight offset”.

Good point. After all, I had been doing the equivelant of ASCII manipulation in the script to get the numbers in the first place. :slight_smile:
If I simply included a switch remove the “tr” and the removal of spaces, it would indeed do ascii :slight_smile:
Hm. If I have 5 minutes from work (aside from sneaking glances at StraightDope) I will have to add that…
Then again, as Cecil points out, maybe people don’t want spaces ignored.