7 Jan 2021 and beyond - the aftermath of the storming of the Capitol

If anyone’s interested, the J6 Committee has a twitter feed where they announce things like this.

I wonder if any of the six were those who appeared chummy with the rioters:

A New York state man is serving as his own lawyer defending the insurrection charges against him, and he has sent a fee schedule to the state to pay him for his services in working for himself.

I predict a competency hearing is in his future…

Cool idea. Get rich (not) quick scheme:

1. Get charged with commiting a crime
  2. Represent yourself, and instead of demanding that yourself pays yourself, demand that the prosecution pays you?
  3. Win the case, profit!

Trumpster “logic”.

And if the government refuses to pay him, he’ll just do a half-assed job, and lose the case.

That’ll show 'em!

And then appeal on the basis of incompetent representation.

Demanding, of course, that his alternate personality be appointed to represent him on that appeal.

In Bob Woodward’s new book, he claims that Chief of Staff Milley ordered senior military officials to pledge to him that they would not obey orders from Individual 1 to launch nuclear weapons without first consulting with him, Milley.

On 1/6, Melania’s chief of staff Stephanie Grisham asked her if she wanted to make a statement asking people to leave the Capitol, and Melania replied, “No.”

We had to launch a coup to prevent a coup.

Something similar in the last days of the Nixon White House: The Madman and the Bomb - POLITICO Magazine

Another tidbit from the book: Mike Pence apparently called Dan Quayle asking if there was some way for him to do what Cheato wanted. To Quayle’s credit, he firmly answered “N-O-E NO!”

Am I the only one astonished that Mike Pence would look to Dan Quayle for advice? I never thought of him as an elder statesman. But then again, they’re both from Indiana, aren’t they?

Well, imagine him going through the list of previous Vice Presidents:

Biden: No, for obvious reasons
Cheney: No; he’d try to finagle some way to become President himself
Gore: No, again for obvious reasons
Quayle: …hmmm, maybe…

That made me laugh too much.

The article I read stated that Milley reminded them of what proper procedure is, which apparently is that there is a safeguard that Milley is to be involved in such a decision. Is that correct or not, I don’t know, but that is a very different interpretation from “not obey orders.”

These anecdotes are humorous but this isn’t a joke. Look at history: these people aren’t going away. They are waiting for ‘normal’ government to make mistakes. They’re waiting for a crisis. There might be moments when the radical right behaves benignly. The Nazis were largely ignored and discredited, until the Depression, massive unemployment, particularly the economic carnage of young white conservative men. It could all change in a matter of weeks and months.

I can’t find it now but I vaguely remember a Cecil Adams’ column on that. Something about how the Secretary of Defense or Chairman of the Joint Chiefs wanted to be informed of any “unusual” orders in the waning days of the Nixon White House.

“You may recall that in the final days of the Nixon administration then-Secretary of Defense James Schlesinger instructed commanders to report any “unusual” presidential orders to him before taking action, evidently out of a suspicion that Dick might decide to torch the planet out of pique. I cannot say that the situation fills me with confidence.”