A Corny Question

Why no corn bread, in stores.

We got White Bread, Rye, Wheat, High Fiber, Low Carb, a jillion kinds of rolls, both in stores & in bakeries.

We got Cornbread Mix.

My Deli has little mini Cornbreads, in cellophane.

So, why can’t I buy a loaf of Cornbread?

It varies by Super Market. Shop Rites and Stop & Shop do carry it.

Because it is a “eat it while it’s still warm” thing?

Cornbread dries out fast. The few I’ve found available in stores were somewhat moist, but whatever it was they used to keep it moist also made it taste…off.

Because a life of deep privation can lead to profound insights and build estimable character ?

See also

Cornbread is really more cake-like than bread-like, and most of the cakes you find in a store are baked inhouse. Bread is one of the few baked goods that is mostly made off-site and shipped to the store.

My local Kroger carries it, and it’s not the minis, but it is in the deli section and served in cake-like loaves similar in size to a freezer section pound cake. And my friend with ‘southern’ roots tells me it’s all yankee cornbread anyway, far too sweet for his tastes.

And having made cornbread from scratch (the few times I feel the need), yeah, it doesn’t hold it’s moisture as well as a high-protein/gluten wheat flour bread.

It’s also crumbly and not very durable. Ordinary wheat bread, if the loaves get handled a little roughly in shipping or shelving, might just be slightly flattened, but cornbread, given the same handling, will be pulverized.

Even worse than no corn bread, it’s hard to find unsliced bread anymore unless it’s an Italian or French loaf. It should be against the law to pre slice store baked bread.

Thomas, the English Muffin maker, also makes Corn English Muffins and Corn Toast-R-Cakes. The latter appear to be English Muffins that didn’t rise very well.

Chronos pointed out the reason loaves of corn bread aren’t found along with loaves of wheat bread, they just don’t have the characteristics or serve the functions that wheat breads do.

The thing I like about living in Texas is I can go to my local homestyle restaurant and buy a quarter sheet of CB for crazy cheap. I think I pay like a $1.50 for six squares.

Really? It’s pretty much the total opposite over here in the UK.

I like sweet cornbread but those little minis from Kroger tastes like Twinkies with out the cream filling.

This is hardly true. Hostess products, Little Debbie products and the like are obviously all made off-site. And you can find all kinds of baked and frozen products from Sara Lee. Some grocery stores don’t even have an in-house bakery.

I can’t tell what either of you are trying to say. @OldGuy is right about grocery products. Most bakery products are not sold in the bakeries where they are made. Small local bakeries sell what they make directly to customers, but the vast majority of baked goods are made in factories to be sold by grocery stores, restaurants, food services, etc.

And then whatever @Elmer_J.Fudd was trying to say, it’s not clear what the opposite would be since his statement contains several points. Do you mean “Bread is one of many baked goods mostly made on-site and not shipped to stores”?

It is normal over here for a supermarket to have a bakery at the back of the store. The one I use offers a range of artisan breads as well as baguettes and rolls. I am not certain but assume that they use frozen dough rather than making their own.

I suspect that the ventilation is arranged so that the smell of baked bread escapes into the main store.

Sounds like the same as here. I know the ones around here use frozen dough, cakes, and pies because my friend works for the bakery supply that provides them.

Please make a minimal attempt at descriptive thread titles.

I thought he was saying that in the UK most of the store-baked bread can be bought unsliced. That is the case in Australia also, where you can always ask for it to be sliced at no cost as well.

This is a moderator matter. If you have a concern with a thread title that might not meet the Board rules please bring it to moderator attention. Acting as a moderator if you aren’t one isn’t allowed here. No warning, just a note.

Thanks,

RickJay