A fucking idiot videotaped Tony Scott's suicide jump and is showing it.

Story here There is no link to the video.

I am so angry right now I cannot type straight. How low can a person sink?

Is it any different from people taping Golden Gate jumpers because he was famous? I mean, if you want to avoid public scrutiny while committing suicide…do it privately.

Depends on whether he hits feet-first or bellyflops.

Did he intend to record a jumper? Was he just taping the river when he got the money shot?

He’s not showing it…he’s trying to sell it.

I’d be tempted to sell it to a gossip site.

Well, if he is trying to sell it then that’s pretty shitty. I wouldn’t feel right profiting from someone’s death.

It’s not like turning the money down would bring him back to life though. What if it was a shitload of money?

Apparently whomever this is is asking for a truckload of money because I don’t for a second believe that the TMZ’s of the world have some kind of moral quandry about acquiring something like this.

Zapruder got a crapload of money for his film.* I don’t think this is newsworthy like Kennedy’s assassination, but if I happened to film it, I might at least see if someone wanted to buy it.

I don’t know. Maybe if I were in better financial shape I wouldn’t. What is the correct thing to do with it? Some biographer or some historian may want it for some reason years from now.
*crapload = $150,000 in 1963.

I’m not seeing the rae!g. Tony chose a public place to do this awful thing to his family and friends. It’s bad all around but I’m not all that upset with the person who shot the vid.

Is there a moral duty to try and stop a jumper?

Hypothetical: What if instead of trying to “talk” Mr. Scott down safely, he pulls out his cellphone camera instead?

I agree. There has to be at least a bit of a desire by the jumper to sensationalize his death if he chooses such a, well, sensational method. I feel sorry for the family, but they really only have him to blame.

Nothing is private anymore unless you take extra pains to make it so. Whatever you do in public is likely to be filmed. We all should have learned that years ago.

As long as the video opens with the Scott Free Productions ident I’m cool with it.

This.

As an aside, I learned from this article that Tony Scott didn’t have a tumor on his brain; as was originally reported. So the motive for his jump remains a mystery.

There are lots of pictures and videos on the Internet of people who died horrible, gruesome deaths that you can find if you go looking for them. What makes this any different?

Now I gotta go find out who the hell Tony Scott is…

Passerby: Don’t jump! Please don’t jump!

Jumper: (lips trembling) I didn’t think anybody would care…

Passerby: (waving camera and pointing) Wait 'til I get over there. It’s a better angle.

Director of films, mostly action. Top Gun, Enemy of the State, True Romance etc. Brother of Ridley Scott (who know who he is right?).

The Port of Los Angeles is about 35 feet deep.

Notable dude offs himself in a notable manner in broad daylight in a huge city, damn right, somebody’s gonna get a video of it and sell the shit out of it. Save the thenthative butterfly routine. It’s not like he was your uncle or something.