Last night I was reading the interview with Kate Winslet in the current Entertainment Weekly, and in the scene-setting opening, the interviewer says something along the lines of “blah blah blah, she is, of course, a great beauty, despite her charmingly down-to-earth presentation of self…”
Okay, I’m paraphrasing like mad here, but the author definitely described Winslet as “a great beauty.”
Except she isn’t.
Let alone “of course, a great beauty.”
Now, I’ll give you “a beautiful woman” – though even that isn’t beyond debate (there’s something very, very weird about her mouth, esp. her upper lip) – but she’s not “a great beauty.”
Because, like porn, “a great beauty” may be hard to define, but you know it when you see it.
So, question one is “what does ‘a great beauty’ mean?”
And question two is “who, past or present, would you consider ‘a great beauty’?”
I’ve got no answer to either one, but I’ve got an hour drive ahead of me on which to meditate on these issues.
