A "Movies I've Seen" List... How should I do it?

I want to have a list of every movie I’ve ever seen. I don’t need any extra information like when I first saw it or how good I thought it was. I just want a list of movies that I’ve seen.

What’s the best way to do it?

I see that there’s some functionality like this in IMDb. I can easily click the “Add to My Movies” button, and it’s a place where I’ll be looking at movies anyway, so it’ll be convenient and I’ll be more likely to do it there. I also like that I can make the list public. My only real problem with this is that it doesn’t seem to check for duplicates, so I could potentially be adding movies more than once without knowing it. Is there better software I should be using?

I also don’t necessarily want to spend hours adding movies I’ve seen, I figure it can be like, whenever I come across a movie or when I’m looking through an actor’s credits, I can just add movies as I go. Or I can go down the Top lists and things like that and put stuff in. But is there a more methodical way to do it that I should try? Maybe if there’s some better software out there it has a better way to find movies that I’ve seen.

There’s also an issue of miniseries and tv shows, which I think I am going to leave out for now.

And what should I do with the list once I have it? I mainly want it just to have it. Maybe I can look at the number and be amazed, or brag about it. But can you think of any practical uses?

Who else here has such a list? Can I see it?

Now that I’m thinking about it, it would also be nice to be able to make lists by director, or lists of movies by an actor that I haven’t seen, or stuff like that. So if anything exists with that sort of functionality, I’d love to hear about it.

My movies on IMDB is perfect. If you add a duplicate it takes you straight to your list and you just move the duplicate to the recycle bin. One of the default categories is must see movies but you can make any categories you want. I do what you are talking about. Say I see a movie directed by Fred Bloggs, I look him up and go through the list of films he has made. I rate the ones I have seen and add any I want to see to my must see list. Sometimes I see a movie with someone in it that leads me to add several movies to my ratings.