A new misheard lyrics thread

Though we’ve had many, I don’t think we’ve had one lately, discussing more recent songs. Feel free to share what you’d like, but I was kind of hoping for more current stuff than " . . there’s a bathroom on the right" :wink:

What got me to thinking about starting this is the latest song by Pitbull and Ke$ha, Timber. I saw her perform it on one of the music award shows, and couldn’t quite make out many words except “timber”. Apparently the words in the chorus are “…it’s going down, I’m yelling timber” but I thought she was saying *hauling *timber and was referring to, uh, having lady wood :eek: It just seemed like something she would sing about.

I thought the first line of Panic at the Disco’s Miss Jackson was “you put a sock a little further in my mouth now” as opposed to the correct lyric “you put a sour little flavor in my mouth now”. It kind of makes sense as the song sems to be about Miss Jackson’s nefarious activities.

On Saturday I was in the car with my (almost) 4 year-old. Lorde’s “Royals” was on, and after the first chorus he pipes up “Dad, can I call you Green Bean?”

Far East Movement’s “Like a G6”: I heard it as “I like-a cheese sticks!”

“Tea [ti], a drink with Jan and Fred.”

An oldie, “Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear” [Gladly the cross I’d bear]

What makes you think that? :wink:

Good luck to Ke$ha as she gets treatment for an eating disorder.

Instead of hearing “radioactive” I first heard “ready to rock you”.

This time of year always reminds me that when I was a kid singing in the church choir, I used to bust out with Gloria in eggshells this day-o.

Macklemore: “So we put our hands up like the coelacanth told us. Like the coelacanth told us.”

This is almost exactly the way they chant it in Sandra Boynton’s Grunt. Only it’s played straight, sounding exactly like Gregorian chant, so unless you’re really listening you won’t catch it.

Eminem - Beserk

The line is:

“We’re gonna rock this house until we knock it down, so turn the volume loud Cause it’s mayhem 'til the a.m”

I kept hearing it as:

“We’re gonna rock this house until we knock it down, so turn the volume loud Cause I’m spitting to the 80’s.”

It’s supposed to sound like an 80s rap song, so I thought it was a strange lyric, but whatever.

:stuck_out_tongue: I love this, if for no other reason than it made me look up coelacanth.

I, for one, welcome our new coelacanth overlords. puts up hands

Call me dim (or perhaps it’s a different-countries thing), but – I know about coelacanth the fish; the song reference, though, means nothing to me. Could some kind person please explain?

The actual line is “put our hands up like the ceiling can’t hold us.”

This isn’t quite a mondegreen, but is Lady Gaga’s repeated singing of “Poker Face” *supposed *to sound like “poke her face”?

Thanks, folks. Per the video – all pretty much beyond my ken, to be honest. It must be that I just don’t get popular culture. What with the surreal-ness of the whole thing, and the various creatures which show up in it, I kind of feel that the “coelacanth” version fits better.

I heard my kids singing along to “You Sexy Thing,” (I believe in miracles…) but with the words

I’ve been eating meatballs
Where you from? In Texas state.

I was going to respond “puts up penis” till I realized I was confusing coelacanth with candiru. Never mind! :smack:

I kind of feel obliged to contribute to this thread … :wink:

British comedian Sean Lock (I think it was on an episode of “8 out of 10 cats”) said that the first time he heard Adele perform the theme song for “Skyfall,” her singing style made him think that the new Bond movie was going to be called “Scaffold.”