A Personal Thank You to the SDMBers

I just had to take a moment to say thanks to everyone for making this week a little more bearable for me. It’s been a bad one.

My grandmother died on Saturday, of bone cancer. Her funeral was yesterday. She was a great lady, and I miss her terribly.

But she also was the type of person that simply went on. Things happened, she dealt with them, and just moved on. She had to–she had six children and five stepchildren. At one point, there were nine kids living in her house, from elementary to high school age.

She never really had a break from that kind of thing. While her youngest child was still in high school, her elderly parents moved in with her & her husband. My great-grandfather died in 1988. My great-grandmother is still living, and was living with and being cared for by my grandmother, until she went into the hospital five weeks ago.

Coming here every day has been a great help. My grandmother appreciated humor. I don’t know if she would have liked the Dick Haiku, but it sure cracked me up. Sharing the stories of how I lost my virginity (Gary Coleman Announcement thread) and how I met my husband (How You Met Your Mate?) has made me spend some time thinking about my own life, and my family, and how much I love them.

And the Guy Stuff thread…what can I say. I have been laughing at that one for almost two weeks now, and it gets better by the day. Now we’re on a road trip. I can’t wait to see where we’ll end up. My grandmother was married three times, and eight of the eleven kids she raised were boys. If she could see that thread, I honestly think all she’d do is shake her head and say “boys will be boys. But you really need to use some coasters.”

Thanks for keeping my spirits up!

Blessings to you, Cristi.

:smiley:

Wishing you the best, Christi.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

All the best from Amsterdam here. So, your great-grandmother actually outlived your grandmother ? That must be very weird for her ! How old is she then ?

*off to the Guy Stuff thread to make Chris smile some more :wink: *

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Condolences on your loss. I hope I was of service in the cheering-up aftermath.

–Da Cap’n
“Playin’ solitaire 'til dawn
With a deck of fifty-one.”

My condolences to you

“Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.”

Your Grandma sounds like one really neat lady. I bet she got the express line to heaven and earned her wings instantly!

Thinking of you, Cristi; it’s tough to lose a loved one. I hope you and your family are doing well.

Since she was a woman who took things in stride and had a great sense of humor, why not have a family gathering and have everyone read a “Dick Haiku” out loud. It would be a memorial no one would soon forget.

:wink:

:::thinking of having a Dick Haiku etched on my husbands tombstone:::::

The family gathering and reading of the Dick Haiku is a great idea. We are having a family get-together on December 17th…maybe I’ll bring some of that priceless stuff!

For the record, my great-grandmother is 96 years old. She is a bit weirded out by this, but we are all of the same stock. She’ll get on as best as she can. She has some physical problems, but mentally she is sharp as a tack. It’s delightful to still have her here.

Thanks to everyone for the condolences. They are truly appreciated. Now I’m off to the Guy stuff thread… :slight_smile: