My Grandma died

She was 102 and at 45 myself I’m a little old to be getting emotional but I still miss her. It had to happen some time and I think she’s OK with it. She’d been very tired for the last few years. It was almost like she was ready and was just waiting.
I have no grandparents left alive :frowning:

My condolences to you for your loss. I still miss my grandparents, 20-some years after they went. It’s never easy.

I’m sorry about your grandmother, **zoid. ** :frowning: Still, she made it past the century mark, and that’s something. The changes in the world and society that occurred in her life time were really pretty incredible when you think about it.

I have no grandparents left either.

Thanks.
I wasn’t exactly a shock but it still hurts. She had a good run and saw incredible change in her lifetime.

I’m sorry for your loss.

My dad called yesterday to tell me that a growth has been found just above my Grandmother’s lungs. With her heart and lung conditions surgery is not an option.

She went through Chemo a little more than 20 years ago, and she has no interest in doing it again. At 87, I can’t say that I blame her. So this weekend is a whirlwind trip home with my dad to see her.

15 years ago I had two great-grandparents and all four grandparents. 11 years ago I had all the grandparents and one great-grandmother left. It’s just odd to think that I’m possibly going from the fourth of five living generations to the second of three in less than a decade.

Then again, Gramps lived seven years after he received his “six months to live” diagnosis. Maybe Grams is just as stubborn.

Sorry for the highjack. Here’s to grandmothers.

I wasn’t clear above. All have since passed, except Grams. When she does, my parents will be the vanguard generation.

You just never know do you.
My paternal Grandpa was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was given 6 months. He eventually succumbed to it - 15 years later.

Hugs to you. Celebrate her life.

I am 33 and I have no grandparents who are alive. Or so I think…
My maternal gramps who had early onset of Alzheimer’s wandered away from home around eight or nine years ago and nobody has seen him since. I assume he is dead. :frowning:

My maternal grams died two years ago and I miss her terribly.
My dad’s parents are both deceased.

I’m so sorry for your loss. :frowning: I imagine if I ever made it past 100, I’d be tired all the time too. It sounds like she had a very full ride, though. That’s definitely something to celebrate.

I’m so sorry, zoid. I send you my condolences.
May you all find peace.

I’m so sorry, zoid. I can’t imagine how hard that must be. I’d lost all mine by the time I was twelve, so I’m at least glad you both had a while together. Hang on to those memories and know she’s tired no longer. May she rest in peace and I pray you find some solace in the upcoming difficult days and months ahead. Hugs.

So sorry for your loss.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.
I’m still trying to decide if my little ones (7 YO twin girls) should attend the funeral.
I’m of two minds, on the one hand I don’t see the benefit of putting them through a long day of mourning but on the other hand I’m not sure I should hide it from them.

Sorry for your loss, zoid. It feels like loss that’s greater than the single person when someone that age dies - 102 years of memories and stories, a tangible connection to the past.

zoid, I am so sorry to hear this. And no, you are not getting too old to be emotional about this. My grandmother is 107, and she’s kind of like yours, ready to go.

Remember the happy things and forget any of the pain of the later years. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers this evening.

You are always allowed to get emotional about family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Getting to 102 is so amazing. What an incredible difference between the world she arrived in and the world she left behind! I know what you mean about her seeming tired and ready - my Grandmaman is almost 98 and while she has the occasional good day where she’ll demand my Mom take her shopping because there’s a great sale on at Sears, she spends most of her days sleeping in her comfy chair. I’ll miss her tons when she finally lets go of this world.

Your family is in my thoughts.

I’m so sorry about your grandma. My grandmother died almost 30 years ago and I still think of her often. When you’re up to it, maybe you could tell us a little about her?

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Sending supporting thoughts your way.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Please try to celebrate the fact that you had her for so long…my stars, 101 years is a very long time to spread your love over the world!

Still, no matter how long you have someone you love, it doesn’t mitigate the pain you feel when you lose them.

Sending prayers for peace,

Cheri

Mary Elizabeth Fleming Greifenkamp was 102 years old.
She raised 8 children after her loving husband died at a young age of a heart attack.
She saw them through wars, the great depression, good times, and bad.
She died August first, 2012. The exact same day her husband died years earlier.
She was grandmother to 26 grandchildren and 52 great-grandchildren.
She drank Chevas Regal on the rocks with a lemon peel twist. She drank rarely but when she did she was unashamed to say she deserved it.
She was active in her church her entire life and was faithful to the end.

She was stubborn but loving, generous to a fault, and more patient than any of us deserved.

She was my Grandmother.

I miss her.