A Pit thread for Asahi

Perhaps more is being considered?

I say give him a warning for slurs and a mod note for everyone to drop the idiotic hijack. No thread ban yet, but keep it on the table if he can’t control himself.

And then reopen the thread! There are things to discuss, like the Dodgers losing. We need to read more of asahi’s insightful analysis, like “if the Dodgers don’t score more runs than 0, they will lose the series.”

…and the concept of putting on oven mitts to slide. Just putting them on would seriously telegraph your intentions to the opposing team.

Okay guys, look alive! Wills is putting on oven mitts. He’s probably planning on trying to steal second and sliding under the tag!

Or does the guy put on the oven mitts while he’s running the bases? That would be really cumbersome, and probably slow him down.

But yeah, reopen the thread. We’ve got to get to the bottom of this!

The guys who use them put them on every time they reach first. But, most of those guys are always looking for a chance to steal a base.

I would report if I was offended. But on the grand scale of things, “fairy ball” and “sissy ass shit” isn’t offensive to me and is quite tame when your team barely didn’t make the playoffs (I believe asahi is also a Cardinals fan).

~Max

Are you The Only Gay In The Village?

To the contrary, I’m not gay at all.

~Max

My gay family members and friends will be quite relieved that a straight person isn’t offended by homophobic slurs.

Fuck off to your own planet. This isn’t about you or your favorite baseball team.

Why would anyone punch down because of some slight change in equipment? Because asahi is controlled by fear of the other and fear of change, just like Trumpists.

Now look, if you want to report that post go ahead. I’d have no objection if he drew a note or warning for being a jerk, and I understand that some people will say only a jerk uses homophobic slurs to complain about baseball. I’m just not one of those people. I wouldn’t use the slur myself but neither do I find it offensive, “fairy” is a bit strong/outdated but not unheard of for older folk, and “sissy” is normal lingo.

ETA: I’d be thoroughly surprised if it got 7 reports for jerkishness and no mod response whatsoever. (7 posters in this particular pile on, with reason although I disagree)

~Max

And baseball players in pink bikinis! Who doesn’t think long, and hard about that?

I don’t think I have heard ‘sissy’ used unironically in my presence in 20 years. Guess it depends on the circles you are floating in and I’m in a large urban area that is more gay-friendly than most (maybe almost all). But yeah, that kind of shit needs to go and I say that as someone with a little baggage myself*.

• I have long loved using the slurs ‘retard’ and ‘retarded’, but I’ve been working on dropping it from my list of things to call my bosses and the nonsense that they come up.

Based on the fact that two mods who aren’t normally assigned to the Game Room were the ones who locked the thread last night (Aspenglow), and re-opened earlier this afternoon (What_Exit), I suspect that formal moderator action is awaiting one of that forum’s assigned mods, who may be busy with Real Life.

I must have missed that. I could have sworn I read through the topic last night / this morning (as I am subscribed to it) and didn’t see a lock, or any mod actions…

~Max

Locked temporarily today, and Asahi told not to post in it again, due to the homophobic insanity.

Yeah, just read about it a few minutes ago.

This little episode reminds me of something I saw on Family Guy last night. Stewie’s girlfriend is cheating on him and he asks Brian, “what kind of man would I be if I were to run off now?” Brian says, totally deadpan, “well, you would be a black man.”

~Max

Yes, kind of my point.

And it’s a warning now.

The homophobic shit wasn’t enough for ya? Couldn’t resist adding in some racism?

Are you ready? and if so, in what way? and finally how does marching up and down the street with a big sign saying “THE END IS NEAR!” get us ready. We get it! Things are fucked up and the Republicans are looking to fuck us up further.

However, right now attacking the RNC with molotov cocktails and rounding up Republican voters into reeducation camps will not be productive as it will probably get us arrested and turn the tide of public opinion against us. So we will have to settle for legal remedies of trying to play by the rules of civil society and do what we can to turn public opinion.

Meanwhile having someone screaming that we are doomed every 10 minutes is not particularly helpful when we already know what you are saying. Its like the life support alarms in the COVID ward. Yes the patient’s life is in danger, but we already know about it and are doing what we can which we realize may not be enough, so having the damn thing screeching without us being able to turn it off is not improving matters.