A plea to Jon Stewart

Exactly. Shoot, living in the NYC area there is a big difference between a hardcore “dem, deeze, doze - fugeddaboudit!” kinda guy vs. the majority of folks living in the area…I assumed they found a place to shoot fish in a barrel - but it was still awful to see…

That is the type of Daily Show interview I love. I can’t stand the more recent trend of having the interviewer act like an idiot, and tend to skip over bits going in that direction.

To be fair to the Wasilla residents, I think they were just giddy at the idea that someone from their small town made it that far.

Truthfully, that was better than I thought it would be. They didn’t seem all that out of line with a lot of small-town America, other than the two or three dumbfucks that you’ll find at any bar.

Jason Jones returned to Wasilla tonight with a much more entertaining- and insulting- look at the city which seemed to prove it is not the mythical “Small Town America” Sarah Palin says it is. “The Meth Capital of America,” the Alaskan Independence Party, why people in big towns don’t care about each other but small towns do, (9/11 being the prime example, apparently). And the excitiing life of the mayor of Wasilla…which involves absolutely nothing (Thursday is check-signing day!)

The segment with the mayor was pure gold.

Does anyone know which party she belongs to? If Dem, she did a great hatchet job on the Boreal Bimbo. If Republican, well, she’s honest at least.

Dianne Keller is a Republican.

Oh, snap! :smiley:

In all fairness, I’m pretty sure that teacher said the meth capital of Alaska, not America. Big fish, small pool.

As for the right honorable mayor of Wasilla having nothing to do… that would normally prepare one to be Vice President.

I liked all of the big box stores in the various backgrounds.

Anyone else hearing genuine anger in Jon Stewart over this whole “Real America” thing? I’ve heard him outraged, incredulous, disappointed, and sad, but I think this is the first time I’ve detected outright anger. I like it.

You must have missed it when Congress took two days off for Yom Kippur. He blasted them, and while it was funny, he was unmistakably pissed.

Wasilla’s claim to fame is now meth. It used to be a variety of pot called “Matanuska Thunderfuck”. They’ve progressed, apparently.

I don’t see what’s so bad about Wasilla being the math capital of the world, or wherever. Kids need to learn math, don’t they? It’s an important skill, and I wish more communities valued math like Wasilla does.

Also reading skills are good.

Lest you think I was joking.

Jeebus, my town has only 200 people and our mayor could have gone on for an hour about what his position entails.

No social services? In a town of 7000+? No social services?

I think she meant social services aren’t dealt with by city government. (Meaning they are dealt with, instead, by state and federal governments. Which I think is the usual state of affairs.)

-FrL-

For a state that prides itself on being anti-government and “independent”, this state has one of the largest welfare programs in the country.

Just pictures of this town are funny.

Sarah was a looker even in high school.

I don’t suppose you know which day this was on? I’d like to see it.