A presidential Candidate So Tone-Deaf That He Leases A Ranch Called Niggerhead?

Guess it kinda depends. Last I heard, CitiGroup stll backed Perry, but Exxon may be leaning towards Cain.

To be fair, the other two ranches Perry could have leased were named “Chinkbrain” and “Beanerback”. I’d say his decision to lease “Niggerhead” over the other two speaks volumes to his keen judgment.

Ayup. In the list of Things I Don’t Like About Rick Perry, this one is barely a footnote.

I drank beer – twice, if I recall – at a location that some people referred to as “Nigger Island.”

I was young and foolish, and I deeply regret this profound error. I am saddened that my insensitive conduct has disqualified me from the presidency.

I’ll just make one more post on this little tangent.

A man condemns the incineration of tens of thousands of innocents in the nuclear attack on Japan. A child applauds the execution of a condemned man. Which, in your opinion, is the better Christian?

It may have escaped your notice because it’s difficult to read while rolling your eyes, but Herman Cain was the one who brought this to the attention of the public. The name is vile and it’s tempting to draw conclusions about the nature of the elite GOP old boys’ network that a guy could become a governor and a presidential candidate without even being aware that something like this would offend people. The problem with that conclusion is that the Perry family didn’t own or name the property and nobody seems clear on when the sign was painted over or who made sure the name was covered up (Ray or Rick Perry), so it’s not clear that Rick Perry can be faulted for anything, and it seems the name was painted over years ago- whether it was five years or 30 years. None of which has much of anything to do with GOP talking abouts about Robert Byrd, Jeremiah Wright, or Bill Ayers.

I’d actually laugh my dick off if Obama toured Fuck Whitey Mountain.

No but seriously, there’s any number of possible scenarios regarding Perry and “Niggerhead” ranch that would make my skin crawl. Which is the one true scenario? Who the fuck knows?

I think the most likely scenario is not that Perry is so out-of-touch that he thinks the word “nigger” is still okay. I think it’s absurd that some people actually think that. I think it’s far more likely that Perry is so out-of-touch with his hunting ranch that he thought the problem was taken care of.

Very likely - it’s a very southern thing. Just don’t use the word around one of “those people” and it’s fine. Probably even has a joke or two for you.

-Joe

You know, I can deal with the liberalism of this forum but you need to fuck off with your stereotypes of the South. Using the word nigger is not a “very southern thing” in 2011.

I warned you this past weekend for a similar comment to another poster, and I guess I have to do it again. You cannot tell another poster to fuck off on this site, period, end of story. If you object to what someone says, find an allowable way to object or start a Pit thread and go to town (although even the Pit has rules). Do not do this again.

And his comment gets a slide?

Yes. Please read the rules. Comments about groups of people are usually allowed here even if they’re incorrect and usually even if they’re stupid. Direct insults to other posters (like “fuck off”) are not allowed.

I apologize but I cannot find that rule. Can you point me in the right direction, please?

I have been to the mountaintop. It’s very, very nice.

Site FAQ.

Actually the Washington Post brought this to the attention of the public.

I didn’t know that. I first heard about it through Cain’s comments and I’m reading the Post story now.

I’ve had this debate on the internet countless times. I’ve lived my entire life in the South. It is not common to use the word “nigger” here. More common than elsewhere, no doubt. Still, my 90 year old Georgian grandma knows the word is not okay, even amongst fellow white 90 year olds. The goddamn governor of a fucking state sure as shit knows.

The more I think about this story, the less it concerns me. Honestly, I agree with Qin Shi Huangdi on this one. This is just the left’s equivalent of all the noise about Reverend Wright and Bill Ayers. Politically speaking it is something which actually offends me, which the words and actions of Wright and Ayers did not, but that’s just a matter of differing opinions. The fact that Perry has a tenuous connection to someplace with that name is trivial. It does not make him a racist or even compliant with racism in any significant way.

There are plenty of legitimate things to hate about Rick Perry. There is no need to resort to this kind of silliness.

Also:

I know you got disciplined for this, but I’m with you. I’m sick of Southern stereotypes being held up as “common sense.”