A question for the body builders out there

I had been working out for about 8 months. And getting some good gains(I thought anyway). Well I had a nasty kidney stone that kept me out of the gym for 2 months. I went back to the gym last night for the first time to do chest bi’s and tri’s. Man I am sore today and I know it is going to be worse tomorrow.

What bothered me is that I lost about 20 or more lbs of strength on each arm. Man, that bites.

My question is how long will it take me to get back to where I was(so I can start getting bigger again)?

I mean am I starting all over from scratch?

Also what kind of weight and reps should I be doing just getting back into it? In otherwords how long do I have to wait to go heavy with fewer reps?

Thanks.

When you get these urges to go exercise, you should lie down in a darkened room, with some soft music (say, Mozart chamber music), and put a damp washcloth on your head, until the urges go away.

I’m not an expert, but I can give you personaly experience. The same thing happened to me(not the kidney stones, but the quit working out for about 6 weeks thing) and it wasn’t that bad. My normal workout includes 4 sets of incresing weight/decresing reps per muscle group, and the a 5th set of less weight and all the reps I can handle. When I first came back, I ran into the problem you did, so I started doing 10 sets of 10 reps per muscle group. I did that for about 3 weeks and then started the old system again. It took about 3 or 4 weeks after that to get back to where I was. Depending on your workout, though, it may take you more or less time. Everybody’s different.

Watch out for heat. When welding, do a few tack welds, then tack halfway between them, etc., etc. to keep the metal from warping. Even when you’re sandblasting, if you hold the gun on one place too long, you will warp the metal.

When you think you’re ready to shoot color, spray guide coats and cross-sand instead until the guide coat sands off evenly.

Most important of all, be patient.

Oh, that bodywork…

:rolleyes:

It’s hard to say how long it’ll take, but regaining muscle mass is quicker than building it in the first place. Assuming you resume the same training regimen, it should only be a few weeks until you’re hittin’ it heavy again.

I’m with ricepad on this one, it’s a lot easier to regain strength and mass than to build it from scratch. In college I dislocated my knee, and my calf muscle shrank drastically from non-use. It was rather disturbing to me how much it shrank, I normally have very large calves, but in about 2 months after I started working out again I was back to my former size and almost back at my former strength.

Just keep at it, and let us know how long it takes for you!

That makes me feel good that I don’t have to start all over from scratch. I worked so hard during that 8 months I hated to think it was all in vain.

and Andy I keep ya posted on progress.