A request for cites re: Iraq & the Middle East

I wasn’t sure exactly which forum this should go in (it was a toss up between here or GD) but I decided I most assuredly do not want rhetoric in this thread, just factual input.

I am looking for a reasonably simple (but not simplistic) and straightforward primer to the current Iraq situation and also some info for the possible ramifications for the rest of the middle east (I’m especially interested in this). In fact I’m looking for as much information as possible. My one stipulation is that it should be clear. I’m no expert, I’m just a layman who’s willing to learn.

The reason I’m turning to the teeming millions for this is twofold. Firstly, each independent websearch I make turns up either superficial news stories or various propaganda pages (for both sides). Secondly, I feel that the topic is so vast that I’m not sure precisely where to start my learning from.

I would deeply appreciate both clear and frank information about the situation as well as any guidance you may be able to offer as to the best strategy I could adopt for tackling study of this topic.

Regards,

Neil.

I have seen people write good things about Ken Pollack’s book “The Threatening Storm: The Case for Invading Iraq.”