In this thread some posters are opposed to ‘half-naked children in restaurants’, and others seem to come down on the side of practicality. Rather than hijack that thread, I thought I’d start one on general decorum. It’s a pretty broad subject. Half-naked children in restaurants is one issue. Someone brought up changing a diaper on a counter. But there are other behaviours that will disgust some, embarrass others, and leave some people clucking their tongues and saying ‘That is just not done.’
So where do you draw the lines? Should there be things that are totally unacceptable in public, that are encouraged at home? Or should good social habits be taught at home so that they are repeated in public?
Now, I’m not Politenesman But I’m also not an oaf. I think there are things that are ‘just not done’. Farting at the dinner table and proclaiming, ‘Whooo-eee! That one’s going to kill!’ is unacceptable. Farting without comment is as well. I come down on the side that removing children’s clothing in a restaurant is not acceptable in public. Some people may draw the line between that and farting. As I said, it’s a broad subject.
I was brought up to say Sir and Ma’am, please and thank you, to sit still in my seat, not to interrupt, and so on – at home, as well as in public. Some would say this is bizarre, and that children raised so are ‘stifled’. But I would counter that habits not taught early are seldom learned at all. And I appreciate politeness and a sense of decorum.