A Sign of Idiocy

Once worked at a fitness center called ‘24 Hour Nautilus.’ We closed at 11pm weekdays and 1am on Fri/Sat. We opened at 6am every morning, except the morning the owner chained the doors and left town.

Did I mention we also sold ‘lifetime memberships’? :smack:

I don’t know. I doubt anyone here knows.

If I had to guess, I’d say Christmas Day.

Why don’t you call and ask them which day they’re not open?

Just make sure you don’t call on the day they’re closed.

This is clearly an open and shut case.

Reminds me - I was a bit surprised when, having arrived in the UK and noted that our local Tescos was open ‘24 hours’ (HUGE signage advertising this), that they were shut when I went to do a quick shop at 6pm on a Sunday afternoon.

I have a 7-11 down the street that is open 24 hours. What’s up with that?

Sorry.

It’s down to the Sunday trading laws. UK Supermarkets are only allowed to trade between the hours of 10.00am and 4.00pm on Sundays. Which also means, of course, that the 24-hour supermarkets have to close their doors at midnight on Saturday.

There’s pub in Meeniyan (country Victoria) that has a big sign out the front declaring:

FREE BEER TOMORROW.

It took me a couple of minutes to realise that sign had probably been up there for twenny years or more!

:smiley:

To be perfectly honest, I agree with your caller. If the bank is open for ‘business’ 24/7 even if it is via the call-centre, then cheques should be cleared immediately.

There is no reason on earth, in this computerised day and age why cheques should take three business days to clear once they’re processed: either the cheque is cleared or it bounces…and that takes at most 30 seconds. What the banks are doing is holding customers to ransom, and using the proceeds of such cheques in the short-term money-market for a period of three days (no interest payable of course). If on the other hand you need three days ‘grace’ to have a cheque you issued cleared, no such luck: the bank will bounce it immediately.

It’s a huge (and emminently profitable) scam, and one that annoys the fuck out of many people…but alas, the ‘banks’ have the monopoly and the consumer has no choice at the end of the day.

And why are there locks on doors of Denny’s?

If the 7-11 is open 24 hours, then why do they have locks on the doors? :smiley:

(attributed to Steven Wright, I do believe.)

ETA: Bah! I missed Arizona’s post.

I agree with your agreement, but we do. They call them credit unions. And mine only holds checks over a certain amount, releases a percentage of that amount immediately and the rest as soon as it clears the signatory’s bank.

They’ve also been known to clear checks I’ve written in advance of having the funds deposited to cover the check. But, I’ve been a long-time customer, the check was for rent or utilities, and I had direct deposit, so they knew when the funds would be there.

This is what pisses me off about people who will leave a sign on the door that says, “Back in 5 minutes.” Theoretically, this means they’ll never be back again. For all I know, that sign has been there for the past hour or all day. It isn’t going to update itself every minute.

In that case, you could say the same about CLOSED and OPEN signs when the hours of operation are not clearly posted. I hate seeing the CLOSED sign and searching in vain for an idea of the best time to come back. Especially if I’m there during normal business hours when it’s reasonable to expect they would be open. Why are they closed? It’s Friday at 3pm fercryinoutloud!

Sign on a C-store:

WARNING!
For your safety
you are being videotaped.

I don’t get it.

Doesn’t it mean “Back in five minutes [from the time this sign was posted]?” Isn’t that quite informative–since if the sentence is true, you know you have less than five minutes to wait?

-FrL-

There’s a store near me that posts a closed sign right next to the hours sign. They often contradict each other.

If it is only five minutes then I know that I can just wait around and expect the person to return within five minutes, give or take a few. Perhaps a better example would have been “Back in 30 minutes” (which I have seen people do). How do I know it was posted just before I got there, meaning I should go browse around at some nearby store, or if I should hope the 30 minutes has since elapsed and the guy I’m waiting for is due back any time now?

I find that very, very funny.

“Good morning. Could I have this shirt cleaned ‘express,’ please?”
“Yes, that’ll be three weeks, dearie.”
“Three weeks? But the sign outside says 59-Minute Cleaners!”
“Yes, that’s just the name of the shop, love. We take three weeks to do a shirt.”
“Just the name of the shop?”
“Yes, that’s if there’s an R in the month, otherwise it’s four weeks. Your name does begin with a P, doesn’t it?”

God bless the Bonzos.

When I first heard this bit, I thought Steven must have stolen it from my father. He and my stepmom went to Store 24 at about 11 one night and it was closed.

Stepmom: It’s Store 24! It’s supposed to be open 24 hours!
Dad: They didn’t say 24 consecutive hours.

She also got very excited about a Marshall’s sale once.
Stepmom: Jimmy look! Marshall’s is having a giant sale! 100% off!
Dad: Well, let’s back up the truck and get everything. We’ll sell the tstuff we don’t need.