A touching Father/Son moment

Last night Noah, my 5 year old son, wanted to sleep in my old Spider Man sleeping bag. I have had it since I was a kid. There are a lot of great memories of me as a kid in that sleeping bag. It really touches me whenever Noah uses it. I see myself in him so much.

We said our prayers and I told him I loved him very much. He rolled over and I watched his profile for a second. I looked at his eyes, wondering at all of the things he will see in his life. Things I probably will never imagine. I snuggled up to him, enjoying the moment.

Noah opened his eyes, looked at me and said, “You know, you can get out of here now.”

Punk.

Ha. Great story. I have a 6 year old boy and I know the feeling. They’re still babies, but get these bursts of independence that make you proud and wistful at the same time.

Sweet! My 2 year old daughter’s favourite words these days are “Mummy go now! Bye!” It usually indicates that she wants to do something naughty and doesn’t want me around to stop her!

Heh, I remember one time My son and I were having dinner with my parents.

My son had a steak in front of him that he was cutting up. He was getting the job done but not with out an excessive amount of effort. My Mom, seeing his struggle, leaned over and started to cut his steak up in to pieces for him. As she was doing this, my son looked right at me with the stink eye and clinched jaw and said: “Tell her I can cut it myself” To which my Mom says: “I know you can honey, I’m just helping you.” My son looked right over at her and says “I wasn’t talking to you!”

I normally don’t let my son get away with that kind of sas. But every since he got old enough to understand he’s not like other kids his age (because of his autism): he gets deeply offended when you try to help him with something he KNOWS he can do on his own.

The ONLY times my 5 year old son ever wants me to leave are the times he’s dying to do something he KNOWS I won’t allow.

At bedtime, he still hates it when I leave, and keeps begging me to stay for one more minute.

When he’s 15 and embarrassed to be in the same ZIP Code as his dad, I’ll have to reminisce about these moments.

About two weeks ago, I was sitting on the couch with The Littlest Briston. I tapped her on her shoulder, leaned over and whispered in her ear “Know what?”

“What?”, she whispered back.

“I love you”, I replied. She grinned at me and whispered “I love you too, Daddy”. Great moment.

A day or two later, I was reading her a book before bedtime. She leaned over and whispered “Know what?” in my ear.

“What?”, I asked.

“I love you”, she whispered. I just about melted – that one definitely went into her Top Five Cutest Moments file.

Unfortunately, she doesn’t know the meaning over “overkill” just yet. Every. Damn. Day now, with the whispered “Know what?”. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, you love me. Get a new shtick already, willya kid??

Hal, know what?

Chicken butt.

Have you read Once More to the Lake? It affected me a lot more when I read it after my son was born than it did when I studied it in college.

“Yeah, yeah, but what have you done for me lately?”

I’m visiting a friend with a 3 year old daughter. He gets up and walks into the kitchen, leaving us in the living room, me on the couch, the girl playing on the floor concentrating on her new toy…

She suddenly looks up, abandons her toy, toddles over to me excitedly , points toward the kitchen and proudly tells me :“That’s my DADDY, That’s my DADDY, That’s MY DADDY…DADDY DADDY DADDY…THAT’S MY DADDY”

yes, it’s a wonderful, heartwarming feeling…

And ten seconds later, Daddy returns from the kitchen. So the girl excitedly points in the approx. direction of where Daddy is now standing, and even more proudly proclaims loudy :
"that’s a CHAIR, that’s a CHAIR, that’s a CHAIR…CHAIR,CHAIR,CHAIR,CHAIR,CHAIR…