Aargh. Please help me chose my wedding "entrance" music!

ELP’s Jerusalem , perhaps?

I used a song by an Irish group called De Dannan: The Call And The Answer. It’s a beautiful song, with very appropriate lyrics, but is still reasonably short. We managed to time it out so I got up to the minister at the end of the last chorus.

For some reason, I can’t remember what our recessional was, though. Himself picked it out, and I thought it was a good choice, but I can’t remember what it was.

pokes around computer

Oh, yeah - it was Bobby Darin’s version of More. Nice and upbeat. :slight_smile:

This is a new one on me. Is it customary in America for the bridegroom to process in to music too?

Promenade from Pictures at an Exhibition, on a pipe organ. Or what Johnny LA suggested.

Linus and Lucy for the recessional. Bride and Groom skip down the aisle.

This march

I may have gotten terminology wrong, but the Robotech theme played as the groomsmen marched in, then the groom came down. This preceded the entrance of the bridesmaids to another bit of music, then the ever-so-slow walk of the bride to yet another bit o’ music.

Hee, I was going to suggest the Rebel March from Star Wars (the tune that plays when Luke, Han, and Chewie walk down the aisle to get their medals for blowing up the Death Star)

Your terminology sounds correct to me. It’s just that I’ve never seen the bridegroom and his groomsmen walk/march/process in for a wedding ceremony. They’ve always just hung around at the front and stood up when the bride appears and starts walking down the aisle.

Thanks everyone! This has really helped - if I don’t need to worry about the length, then I’m definitely going with the Vivaldi. I don’t know why I have this vision of all my guest looking at their watches and muttering “oh, come on, get on with it”, but I shall try to ignore it!

The recessional piece is sorted - we’re having “! Hear a Symphony” by Diana Ross and the Supremes:

“You’ve given me a true love,
And everyday I thank you, love”

If you like Vivaldi.

Arrival of the Queen of Sheba?

The Water Music (Allegro-Alla Hornpipe)?

Or

Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring?

Moved from IMHO to CS.

Don’t tempt me! I could probably still get away with music changes at this point (Currently planning on using the bridal march–what?). With our taste in music, it’s hard to think of something appropriate, and I think the priest would nix any requests for Linkin Park.

That’s what my friend Sarah had at her wedding. The priest hadn’t been warned, but managed to say “the Force is strong in these two”. Go for it!

[Then when they were signing the register, another friend played a lovely piece of classical music on the guitar, which if you listened very carefully turned out to be (There ain’t no party like an) S Club Party. Genius!]

Couple of late entry suggestions - at a friend’s wedding, they entered with ‘Horizons’ from the second side of the Genesis album “Foxtrot”. And at my sister’s wedding, the recessional was Ravel’s ‘Bolero’, played on the organ. Cracked a number of people up, as ‘10’ had just been released, and it hadn’t been printed in the order of service.

“Should I stay or should I go” by the Clash, if you’re going for laughs

We entered our reception to The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down.

I intend to use Moret’s Rondeau for my wedding. It’s the Masterpiece Theatre intro.

You may borrow it if you bring it back in good shape.

Agreed! We had a strio trio at our outdoor wedding and actually requested that they NOT play it. Halfway through the ceremony, what do I hear…? Nooooooo…! Anyway, we rented a sound system, as well and my Dad and I entered to an instrumental version of “Hero of the Day,” by Metallica. People still talk about it! It’s a beautiful, stately, haunting melody and the younger people will not believe how cool you are!

My husband walked me down the aisle both ways. It was lovely.

Hey, I need processional/recessional music too!

1. It can’t be “churchy” ie ANYTHING that was originally written to be played in a church is out. This was, independently, a formal request of my Rabbi, and a personal request by my father. However music by the same composer not originally written for the church is ok. So, “Joy of Man’s Desiring” out, “Brandenburg Concerto” in.
  2. It must be playable by a string trio
  3. It cannot be anything recognizable from pop culture.
  4. Nothing too ponderous. Oh, and they played the “March from Aida” at my high school graduation (Pomp & Circumstance being far too short for my graduating class of 900) so not that.
  5. We will both be walking in, each with our parents, + 3 bridesmaids, +3 groomsmen, so it has to be long enough for that.