Aargh. Please help me chose my wedding "entrance" music!

Because I can’t decide!

It’s a civil ceremony, in a hotel, and so the traditional wedding marches are out - they seem to me a bit too “pomp and circumstance” for the occasion. I have a fairly short walk down the “aisle” of the Orangery to the Roman well we’re saying our vows over, and I’m torn between the following:

• Purcell, Trumpet tune: Joyous sounding, and at 1m 19s, about the right length. Have just discovered it was used at Princess Di’s wedding, though, which sort of puts me off.

• Vivaldi, Largo Winter: I love it, I just love it. But it’s a bit long (I have horrors at the thought of standing gormlessly in front of the registrar waiting for the music to end) at 2m 20s, and somewhat solemn and slow.

It’s no good asking me asking the groom, he wants me to use the Emperor’s march from Star Wars! So I turn to you, being the bastions of good taste that you are, for opinions and advice. Please don’t let me down!

Mods, I wasn’t sure whether this belonged in CS, as it’s music related, or IMHO, as I’m looking for opinions. Please move it if you think it’s in the wrong place.

One thing to remember is that the person running the sound can probably just turn down the music once you reach the point of altaration. Just make the first part of the music a little more interesting than a drum roll and the length doesn’t matter.

We joked about using the Emperor’s March, too, and “Send in the Clowns” in our wedding two months ago.

We ended up using an a-capella version of Pachabel’s Canon (Rockapella?) for the Processional and the Purcell piece for the Recessional. Traditional music but having the vocal version made it a little different.

Final determination? Nobody will remember it 10 minutes after the ceremony (unless it’s very unusual) so just have fun with it and enjoy your wedding.

My daughter entered to a song by Celtic Women - can’t recall which one, but they’ve got many beautiful songs.

When we did our reaffirmation of vows, my husband and I used an excerpt from the Grand March from Aida - about the first 1:24. Our version didn’t have the vocals - it was just instrumental.

Star Wars?? :dubious:

Don’t worry about things being ‘too long’. They should most certainly last until you arrive and get yourself settled. If the music lasts beyond this point, then stand calmly - even in a civil ceremony, this works wonders as a scene-setting moment, and also gives you a chance for a few deep breaths after all the mayhem. Don’t worry about what the registrar sees, they know exactly what is going on, perhaps more than anyone else in the building.

As for suggestions, before we reel off the usual suspects, have a think about anything which might make it something special…talk with elder relatives, what did they hear at weddings, perhaps somebody has a favourite of some kind which you didn’t know about. Connections such as these can make the difference between an off-the-shelf choice and a special moment.

Hard to beat the classics. We had a string trio playing the Canon, and it was just right. I have long since forgotten what we had for a recessional - Bach, I believe.

Eye of the Tiger. 'Nuff said.

We had a harpist. It was wonderful.

Harpists are the only people who can seriously make a living from playing at weddings. They need to sell their soul first, of course.

Tom Jones - “She’s A Lady”

You gotta kinda hustle though, the song’s on the short side.

Dude, you are totally coming to my wedding.

I had a cellist (a childhood friend) playing the Princess Bride theme.

It was perfect!

Seriously, if you love the longer piece go with it. Take your time going down the aisle and take a moment to catch your breath at the altar/officiant. My ceremony flew by so quickly, no one will mind an extra moment to let the couple get settled next to each other and take in the moment.

We used the opening of Act II of Mozart’s ‘The Magic Flute’ (March of the Priests). Drawbacks are that it’s almost four minutes long and it sounds a little like ‘O Canada’ (there’s speculation that it’s what ‘inspired’ Calixa Lavalée). Upside is it’s beautiful and not overplayed like a lot of other wedding music, and you can always fade it out. It wasn’t a problem for us - we used the same music for everyone processing to the spot, and we had a lot of real estate to cover, so we needed all four minutes.

Not Yakety Sax?

In The Hall Of The Mountain King

Not sure why this would be such a bizarre idea-- the SW theme music is instrumental, atmospheric, and mood-setting. It’s not like the bride is going to come down the aisle accompanied by stormtroopers, to be given away by Darth Vader. (Or IS she?!)

A friend of mine used the instrumental opening to Robotech as the groom’s march, while the bride had a song from the Neverending Story soundtrack. Outside of the few pop-culture junkies in attendance who could place them, everyone thought the music selections were eclectic but nice, and fitting the personalities of the newlyweds.

I kid you not, by best friend walked down the aisle to “Another One Bites the Dust.” Drew some giggles, I gotta say.

Myself… another vote for Pachelbel’s Canon, and someone to turn down the volume when you get to where you’re goin’.

Nooooooooo!!!

Everyone plays that at their wedding. I used to do wedding videography, and if I don’t hear it again for a decade I wouldn’t mind a bit.

Re: Star Wars!

A friend of mine used the Emperor’s March for his entrance. It was a pretty formal country club affair, but everyone enjoyed it and no one will forget it. It’s a long day for the guests. I’m not above giving them something to giggle about.

She walked in to the Princess Bride, and they recessed to the Muppet Show theme, btw. Everything else was done completely straight.

Everyone’s favorite wedding march.

But if you must have Star Wars, you need this version.

I must second Johnny L.A. - only use “Canon” if you absolutely love it. It is the second-most clichéd wedding processional of all time. If you love the Vivaldi piece and the only concern is that it’s too long, just use an edited version, or as someone suggested, just turn it down a little when you reach the altar.

(How about “Yakety Sax” for the recessional? :smiley: )