[QUOTE=Mangetout]
I agree; if you’ve thought it through and come to the conclusion that your kids are safe with a complete stranger in a suit, but unsafe with a guy in a dress, then you’re wrong, but I’m talking about situations where gut reaction plays a significant part. When we encounter something unexpected, unsual or inconguous, we instinctively apply extra (possibly entirely unnecessary) caution; that’s pretty much all I was saying.
[/QUOTE]
Oh, no–no worries at all. I got what you were saying, and I totally didn’t think that you were trying to defend **Black Train Song’s ** position.
As for gut reaction: Yeah, I think I get what you’re saying, but I’m just saying that, IMHO, something is seriously effed up if the totality of someone’s gut reaction (and yeah, this goes for positive as well as negative reactions) is that “this person doesn’t look like they inhabit my social sphere.” Y’know?
[QUOTE=ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies]
Just park your little fly derriere on the wall and watch the froth fly when the feminst/lesbian seperatist extremists even think they see what might have been an adam’s apple or 5 o’clock shadow anywhere near one of their gatherings.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I’ve heard that from time to time (especially with regard to the Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival), and it’s always boggled my mind, too. Mind you, I understand the need that some lesbians/feminists have to carve out a niche for themselves that’s free from patriarchal power and influence, but MTF’s and “X” number of transexuals just want a place where they, too, can feel safe from that same patriarchal influence, and it’s always saddened and disgusted me that they can’t necessarily find that in places that are supposed to be safe spaces for “womyn.” Or even among gay men, for that matter. (Then, again, I’m a gay man who doesn’t believe that there’s just one way to be gay or lesbian or whatever, so what the hell do I know?) 
[QUOTE=astro]
…young man wearing a cute sundress and size 13 strappy orange sandals who calls him/herself “Jolene”. She seems like a nice person.
Do you leave him with the kids … or not?
[/QUOTE]
Size 13, you say? 'Cause if that’s a man’s size 13, the *first * thing I’m liable to ask is, “Chiiiild, whereEVER did you get those shoes, and does the store have lay-away 'til payday?” because hey, let’s face it, as a gay, Black, Jewish atheist of Southern heritage, I haven’t figured out enough ways to freak out my conservative (well, really, conservative Democratic) South Carolina family. Gotta keep 'em on their toes, doncha know?
And yeah, what **Excalibre ** and **Miller ** said.
And, August West, that was pretty cool of you. I’m not a transvestite, so I won’t try to speak for transvestites, but yeah, I certainly appreciate it. 