Abuse of position by Moderators

Yeah, nobody tells any newbies about Board etiquette and treat them like shit. Except all the times posters tried to tell jolorat he was in the wrong forum. Oh, and when they tried to give him advice on how to get along here. Oh yeah, and when Chief Scott responded politely to him, even though this is the Pit. Oh, wait, that’s right… we do try to give newbies a fair chance here, and Hibbins has his head up his ass.

–John

A lot of newbies, and I was one of them, just sign up, click on the ‘I Accept’ button, and charge ahead without really having read the fine print. Why? Because often people find their way into the SDMB accidentally, because it was a link on someone else’s website. They start reading threads, and sooner or later they’re like, “I’ve GOT to say something here…” and they sign up like a flash of light and start posting.

I cruised along for well over a year without getting reprimanded by a mod, or flamed by anyone else, until one episode recently which the regulars will remember. One of the moderators closed a thread of mine, and I asked why in the Pit. Some users flamed me, but the mod in question Manny patiently explained his action, and backed up my action as far as having questioned his decision in the Pit. Well I felt a bit “spanked” over that, if you know what I mean, but now that I look back, a year is good going for someone who skipped the fine print.

In any event we need moderators. We’re like kids in a playground, our threads are like different games that are going on, and there have to be people whose job it is to
just more or less keep an eye on things, and keep things going in a civil, productive manner.

And we do. Good God, we do!

Esprix

Thanks Sue! But…

1. Don’t have time.
  2. I am, therefore I think!
  3. Certainly, but this is the pit.
  4. How about, that happened to me also?
  5. I don’t know Opal.
  6. What was that? A… a… Jerry Lewis??? How dare you!

Yue,
Like the man said, “if the shoe fits…”

I’m not complaining (well, I guess it looks as if I am). I am content to remain what I am. I’m sure I wasn’t the first to have made this observation. Had images of an information utopia, not just another “beauty” pageant. Definitely a solid source for much information, but there sure is a lot of “overhead”.

Here’s a fucking hint. If you’re interested in a “solid source of information” with no “overhead”, keep your newbie ass out of the Pit and MPSIMS and stay in GQ and GD. You’re content to remain what you are? I’m sure the goats are happy about it, too. You don’t like the flirting threads? Don’t fuckin’ read them. I don’t. This board is an “information utopia” and, to quote Eddie Murphy, “You don’t like it? Get the fuck out.”

I’ll have what August West is having, please.

Ah yes, but it’s the flirts that break out in he middle what one might assume would be a non-flirting thread that’ll get ya.

**note to self: increment counter to 27,862

[sarcasm firmly ON]
Of course! I hate it when those physics threads in GQ break down into inane eye-batting and coy double-entendres[/sarcasm]

Give me a break. I told Hibbins to stay in GQ or GD if it didn’t want flirting and other “overhead”. When was the last time you saw a thread in either of those fora with a break-out of flirting. Get a fuckin’ grip, Krispy

***Note to self: Increment counter to 864

Touchè
***Note to self: Count excrement to 15

sniff Smells like a troll.

Sounds like a troll…
Hmmmm…

Qixotica, public speculation about this sort of thing is against official board policy. (If you have any doubt I will find you a link). E-mail a moderator if you have suspicions.

Colibri, please do get me a link.

I have read the Message Board Rules, as well as the FAQ, and find no instance of what you say. Moreover, I can see that the term “troll” is used quite frequently by regular posters on the board with no retribution from Administrators or Moderators. See threads here, here, here, here, here, and especially here.

I’m sure that it would be easy to find examples of other posters using the term “troll” as an indirect or direct reference to another poster with no official retribution. I have lurked here more than posted (see the registration date?) and have seen many a DNFTT done both simply and creatively. This was my (perhaps feeble) attempt to do just that. Maybe it escaped you? Maybe it came across wrong? Maybe you are being sarcastic, and I’m just not getting it?

Whatever the case, are you going to back up your statement with a cite? If you back up your claim, I will gladly back off and admit to being wrong. If not, then I suggest you check your own facts before you:

1. Open Mouth
  2. Insert Foot.
  3. Chew Vigorously.

Thanks.
:slight_smile:

It’s a fairly new policy, but if you suspect someone of being a pure troll, please do email a mod or admin rather than put it on the message board. FTR, I don’t think that the OP is a troll, just very, very…confused.

Thank you for that clarification, Lynn. I seem to have missed when that policy was established. I will be sure to keep it in mind. And my humble apologies to Colibri as well (though since you aren’t an admin, a cite is always a good thing to convince me). Although I don’t think the OP is a pure troll either, his posts in this thread have “smelled” trollish, at least to me…

BTW, I like “confused” as a description of the OP’s state of mind. Methinks you are being diplomatic though. :wink:

Sorry, Qixotica, my apologies if I caused any offense. I wasn’t trying to embarass or insult you, but just give a straightforward heads-up. (I would have given you a cite if I had had more time, but as your search showed the term comes up in a fair number of threads.)

It is not, AFAIK, against board policy to discuss trolls and trolling in general, though it is often frowned upon somewhat (as you can see in the somewhat heated discussion between Satan and Coldfire on the last thread you linked too.) And the mere mention of trolls is not forbidden - after all, they are a fact of life around here. What is a no-no is to accuse a specific fellow poster of being a troll or sockpuppet. If you have a suspicion, the policy is to e-mail a moderator. (If I have mistated or misinterpreted policy, I trust a moderator will correct me.)

Pretty much spot-on.
Although I’d like to stress that my comments in Satans thread reflected my opinion as a poster rather than an SDMB rule. Having said that, the rule about alerting a mod upon a troll sighting could be interpreted (by means of a little extrapolation) as our general dislike for any kind of witch hunt. Which would explain my comments in Satans thread a bit, I suppose.

Yes, assuming that someone coming up with a unique term for a group of people who all share similar characteristics is somehow a “witch hunt.” Heaven forbid we start a thread about “Creationists” or “Democrats.” Wouldn’t want a witch-hunt or anything… :rolleyes:

Coldie, you said in the thread and in personal e-mail that you were done with the subject. How about staying true to your word, m’kay?

Satan. Read this, and read it well.
[ul][li]I’m answering a question by another poster. It required an explanation. I gave one. It has no bearing on you or your stupid thread other than the stance taken here.[/li][li]On-board references to details from private e-mails are cheap. Do you want me to start an entire thread about our conversations? Boy, that ought to be a laugh.[/li][li]I will not be drawn into silly arguments just because you think the world revolves around you.[/li][li]Watch your step, and shut the fuck up. For once.[/ul][/li]I hope that provides some clarity.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Coldfire *

It may have required an explanation, but did it require that you put my thread in a negative light and totally miscategorize it?

Which means you can lie here, that’s it? After all, what you said is not actually what happened. Categorizing my thread as a “witch-hunt” is a gross miscategorization, since it is nothing of the sort, and funnily enough, it’s the first time you mentioned it in such terms, even though you have voiced complaints about it throughout.

And would you care for me to bring up the numerous threads where you took it upon yourself to hunt down trolls? You only stopped (by your own admission) when the rules were changed. And I’m not breaking any rules. So get off my back. Immediately.

And going into another thread and refering it to a “witch-hunt” is still being on my back, by the way.

Revealing e-mails might be unethical. But revealing an abstract opinion or resolution expressed in an e-mail - when it is the exact same view that you already expressed in a public forum, I must add - is not, I don’t think.

And feel free to post the entire e-mail that you sent me. Please. I have nothing to hide about my response to you. Or the way you left it.

My, what a cheap shot.

I don’t think that the world revolves around me at all, but I do think that when you miscategorize a thread THAT I STARTED that I might have an idea as to what the thread is actually about. Better than you do, at any rate.

So, I’d say that particular thread revolves more around me than it does you at the very least. Especially since you have shown that you really, as much as you’d like to think otherwise, don’t get it. Especially since you said you were done with it. Which makes that a lie as well for those keeping score at home.

Is that a threat? Yeah, it has to be. After all, I wouldn’t take that as “friendly advice.”

If the threat is without the “moderator hat,” I don’t give a fuck, frankly. I’ve been told the same thing by others and I always consider the source. Right now, you have gone off the respected-by-me list.

Not that I expect you to care, but at least I have the courtesy to tell you where you stand with me, which is more than you managed to do. And at least I have a reason for this, which you, to put it bluntly, don’t.

And if it’s with the moderator hat, I’d like to know what rules did I break, thanks,

Oh, none? Right. That’s what I thought.

Now that you’re a moderator, you might wish to not show this side of you, Coldie, as it reflects quite badly on these boards.

As a moderator on another board, I had to bite my tongue at times because I represented the board. Think about that how your edict to me just represented this board for a second. Because as long as it says “moderator” by your name, you reflect the administration of this board.

As such, you might want to curb the vitriol and save it for the Pod People, if you ever managed to actually figure out who they were.

There, now we’re even. One cheap shot apiece.

Yeah. As a former friend of mine once said, some people just can’t admit that they might be wrong. Clear enough, thanks.

Do me a favor, Coldie, since you have changed in my estimation: Stay out of my way unless it is official moderator duty. Because I don’t like what you have become. Sure, you don’t have to appease me, I know that.

But get this clear:

I don’t have to appease you.

At all.

So as long as I stay within the rules here (as in, unless I break rules in your forum where it becomes your job to interact with me), I expect that this will be the last response of yours to something I say.

I plan on returning the favor, you’ll be happy to know. Fortunately, I don’t go to MPSIMS as much these days, so it should me minimal at any rate.

I hope that provides some clarity.