[QUOTE=whole bean]
I see. Would any of the following likely be accused of “acting white”
Oprah Winfrey
Tavis Smiley
Juan Williams
Barack Obama
Bill Cosby
Chris Rock (he’s got the nerdiest voice of damn near anyone I’ve ever heard)
Will Smith
[/QUOTE]
Ooh, I want to play!
Oprah - I think she is respected and acknowledged as being “down,” though her topics on her show might suggest that she is the White middle-class woman’s best friend. I also think her vocal opposition to hip hop, and especially the way she treated Chris Bridges (Ludacris) had people questioning her “Blackness.” The discourse has advanced that hip hop is very naughty indeed, so I think she’s in the clear. Most of all, I think a lot of people see her kind of disconnected from a Black reality - she’s rich as hell, she’s not married and has no kids. So a lot of issues that Black people deal with on a daily basis, she doesn’t. (Again, this is just among the folks I roll with in my neck of the woods.)
Tavis - he’s what a lot of us call “country.” He is 200 percent Black, couldn’t escape his Blackness if he wanted to. As monstro notes, he’s got a lot of church-rearing evidence in him.
Juan Williams - maybe by some, because of his political beliefs. However, he’s not terribly out of step with what a lot of Black folks think, so I would say generally, no.
Barack - if you saw him on that clip when Sharpton’s Blackberry goes off when he’s speaking, and he joshes with him that Hillary was calling, I think that earned him a lot of cred among Black people. My sample is skewed because he’s a Harvard Law grad and most of my friends are Harvard affiliated. But I think he is accepted like a lot of biracial or first-generation Black Americans are. It seems you have a choice where you can either say, “Hey, I’m one of you,” or go the Tiger Woods route. (Not criticizing, but I’m pretty sure that you would have a hard time finding someone Black who thought that he had a strong Black identity.) He’s chosen to ally with Black Americans - his wife is African American, goes to a Black church, etc.
Bill - always Black. I think many are somewhat disappointed with his approach from a few years back, but I think most Black people I know think he has legitimate positions. He just didn’t articulate them very well, initially. He has some scandals as well, which I think in some ways endears him to a lot of us. (Yes, that is a crazy sentence.)
Chris - his commentary on issues of race make him perhaps one of the most prominent commentators on the issue of race, entertainment or otherwise. Knowing where he came from, what his comedy is about, who he is (was?) married to - he’s firmly in the family, as we say. (I know gay folks use that term as well, but I’m not using it that way.)
Will - back in the day, he totally came across as a nerdy person (and it seems that he did indeed do quite well in school - I heard he got into MIT). But I never sensed that he was considered to “act White.” Geeky, nerdy, yes, but again, he has a Black wife and his choice of projects usually represent Black people in a good light.
I think you have to look at people who take very public positions that are contrary to how a lot of Black people think - your Ward Connerlys, John McWhorters, and Clarence Thomases - who might be considered to “act White.” It’s more than what one does for a living, or how one speaks. It’s those things, but also a commitment to ideas that work against the (perceived) best interests of Black people. Personally I don’t think these people are “acting White.” I’ve actually spoken with McWhorter before and found that we agreed on a number of things.
Just my $.02…