[QUOTE=Biggirl]
But it was not my son’s tonal dorkiness that earned him scorn from his own family, it was his word choice. As it was not my non-bassiness that got me called an oreo, but the fact that I didn’t say things like “I was sover” when I meant “I was sober” or “Where you at?” when I meant “Where are you?”
[/QUOTE]
I think this might be more of an issue of knowing one’s audience and code-switching, which links back to Du Bois’ observation of the duality of Africans in America. When I first came to the States at the age of 14, I was pretty much shunned by the majority of my Black peers. I didn’t talk like them or dress like them. As I went through high school, I learned vernacular, how to adopt a “cool pose,” got into hip hop, played sports, and so on. Was I ever “the downest” brother in high school? No. But did I have respect among my Black peers and very close friendships with many of the Black kids in school? Yep.
College was almost completely the opposite. I really had two identities, probably because I was so adept at code-switching by this time. The leadership group and my honors program peers that I interacted with saw one aspect of me, while my friends in the dorm saw another. Neither was inauthentic, just different sides of the same person. Towards the end of my college years, I reconciled the two, to now where today I feel if you meet Hippy Hollow, you meet me in all of my identity. My experience parallels closely what racial identity theorists like William Cross and Janet Helm have described for African American youth.
Not knowing you IRL, Biggirl, I don’t know if that might explain the experience you’ve had in some situations. Don’t get me wrong - there are some ignorant mofos out there, Black or otherwise, but my experience has shown me that their is an emphasis on sounding a lot like your peers in those settings among Black youth. As my mom is a West Indian immigrant and I grew up in the UK, I wasn’t going to sound like that right off the bat. But once I learned it, I had much greater success reconciling the two identities - high achieving student and HH from 'round the way.