[QUOTE=Nzinga, Seated]
Biggirl…you *do * understand that being told that this happens when it doesn’t causes *our own * little brothers and sisters to disrespect themselves, right?
We must not let myths abound unchecked. It is not the way to fight ignorance.
[/QUOTE]
Even though I believe black people aren’t as anti-intellectual as the mic holders would like us to believe, I am still annoyed when black people call others out for “acting white”. This phenomona is not a myth. It happens too often and its detrimental as anti-intellectualism.
I also think that while “acting white” is not universally used as an anti-intellectual stance, it can easily be mistaken as such by young people–who try so hard to fit in. They may stay away from certain activities or interests not because people will tease them, but because they are afraid of being teased. They may be avoid going to certain schools not because they will be teased, but because they are afraid of being teased. They may go out of their way to be rude to authority figures not because they will be teased if they don’t, but because they are afraid that they will be.
Someone once said that the hallmark of white culture is conformity. I would say the same thing about black people. If you don’t dress “black”, talk “black”, or wear your hair “black”, then you risk getting called “white”. And it extends to ideological differences. If you aren’t Christian or Muslim (heaven forbid if you’re atheist), if you vote Republican, if you are gay or gay-friendly…you risk that stinging label. Sometimes when I find myself doing something different–like sloshing around in alligator waters with water mocassins staring at me through the bushes–I hear a sista-girl voice in the back of my mind going, “Now you know only white folks do shit like this! Who are you tryin’ to fool?”
Sometimes the insult is implied. “I don’t know how you grew up, but my people don’t do [whatever it is you’re doing]”. I received this comment from an undergrad assistant who was helping me with my graduate project. We later became friends, but there was no doubt what she was hinting at. I was "suspect"off the bat, because I wasn’t cool enough. Fortunately, I’m beyond the impressionable stage and confident enough in my racial identity to not let that kind of insult bother me, but I have to wonder about the effects of that thinking on young black kids trying to break the mold.
So while I think there’s serious overstatement of the phenomona, I don’t think it’s nonexistent enough to be called a “myth”. It’s not anti-intellectual, per se. It’s “anti-different”.