Active shooter at MSU February 13, 2023

Another mass shooting event in America.

CNN is reporting multiple injuries.

Here’s one of our local television stations if you want to follow along. Shooting first reported at Berkey Hall, later at the IM East.

That CNN and MSNBC quickly went to nonstop coverage, despite minimal information, is a very bad sign to me.

Unfortunately, I understand in my own way; I was a student there when this happened, and had taken physics the previous semester, although my professor and my TA, who was very well-liked, were not directly involved.

My younger son is the chef for the basketball team. He worked in the union building last year. He’s home, safe, 15 min. off campus locked, lights low. I hope they catch this asshole before more carnage. He was on campus an hour or less before this started. :pleading_face:

You’ve got kids sheltering in place there that had to shelter at Oxford High School just over a year ago. I can’t even imagine the mental and emotional trauma they’ve experienced and are experiencing again. ETA: Not to mention the anguish their parents are going through yet again.

The campus will be shut down for 48 hours, make of that what you will but it seems rather ominous.

WDIV in Detroit is reporting they’ve got someone in custody.

ETA: False report. Subject still likely at-large.

At first, I heard that they were looking for a short-statured black man, but now I’m just hearing a person with a mask. Maybe the mask was black or brown, and that made a witness think the person was black?

According to the police Twitter account, the subject is a short, Black male. There’s a photo of him there, though you can’t really see his face.

From CNN:

At least five people were wounded in the shooting Monday night at Michigan State University, Interim Deputy Police Chief Chris Rozman said Monday at a news conference.

Some of the victims have “life-threatening injuries,” he said.

I’m hearing three are dead.

Twitter saying (for what its worth) that the suspect shot himself as police approached.

Police presser right now, saying the suspect shot himself.

Yes, CNN saying 3 dead, 5 injured.

At least no one else will be hurt or killed … this time. :frowning_face:

Why don’t these idiots start with themselves? According to AP, the gunman was 43 years old and had no connection to the school. Just random shit. So crazy.

This is insane. With the Oxford school shooting just over a year ago, it’s feeling very close to home. I have a son in high school who will be going to college not very long from now. My heart goes out to all of the victims.

I think the system worked pretty well last night. The response was massive from many local police and fire departments as well as the state police and they quickly made sure the students and staff were protected. The information provided was as timely and transparent as could be expected, the suspect was approached within hours and took his own life. Classes and activities at MSU and all local schools were cancelled today out of an abundance of caution which may seem overly cautious but I believe when there is any doubt, choose the safest course of action.

Odd that the suspect had no ties to the school, perhaps they’ll figure out the motivation perhaps not.

Whilst I agree that the response was good, there were still deaths and casualties.

Surely a far better system is to discuss gun control.

I absolutely agree and I’ve always been in favor of strict gun laws. Too many deaths for sure, but given the constraints of current law the response was good.