Active shooter at MSU February 13, 2023

NBC News interviewed the gunman’s father this morning:

I’d like to find out more about this part from the article:

In 2019, Anthony McRae pleaded guilty and was convicted in Ingham County of possessing a loaded firearm and sentenced to prison. He was released in May 2021.

Why was it illegal for him to have a loaded firearm in 2019? There must be more to that. And when he was released in 2021, how was he able to access a gun (either the one he had before, or getting a new one) if he served time for a gun-related crime; are people convicted of gun crimes able to legally posses them after they are released?

Anyway, it sounds like this guy was in prison when his mom died, so all the more difficult if he had a close relationship with her. Not to excuse what he did, but he clearly needed some help coping with her death.

The system for responding to active shootings worked well.

The system for preventing active shootings from happening in the first place still does not seem to be much of a thing.

One student interviewed survived Sandy Hook as a sixth-grader. Another survived the Oxford shooting last year. I have no words. No one should have to go through this, not as a child, not ever.

Snowthx: they updated the article. It now reads:

Anthony McRae pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor and was sentenced to probation. He was discharged in May 2021.

Thus he was not in prison when his Mom died.

From what I read, the reason for the closures is to have crisis counseling available to all in the community who need it and to give people time to process what happened. MSU will be closed tomorrow as well.

In fact, MSU will be closed until Monday.

Not to mention more than once.

His father has got to be beyond devastated at all of this.

And the taxpayers will be saved the cost of hundred of thousands to prosecute him, and then the cost of housing him in prison for decades.
We should encourage all such criminals to shoot themself before capture.

The fact that there were any casualties is abhorrent. Understand that MSU is a HUGE campus. Something like 16,000 acres with 50,000 students. So yes, the system worked pretty well. The response was immediate and students all over campus protected themselves.

Whilst I understand your point, I repeat that it would be far better to not have such people getting hold of guns in the first place.

Or to get the mental healthcare they need. This guy’s family is suffering today too.

The shooter reportedly was not coping with life very well in the aftermath of his mother’s death a couple of years ago. Toxic masculinity, the stigma of mental illness, and the cost of mental health treatment all may have played a role in his refusal to seek the kind of help that might have dialed back his anger at the world:

Michael McRae, who was married to Linda for 45 years, said he tried to encourage his son to apply for jobs, seek counseling and attend church with him.

“I said, ‘Talk to Daddy. Let me know if something is on your mind. If you need help, I’ll get you help,’” the father said. “He said, 'I’m OK, Dad, I don’t need help.”

Fuck! I just learned this hit my family. My cousin’s wife’s cousin was killed. She was at my cousin’s wedding last year.

My husband has a large family and we’re not far from MSU (my mother’s alma mater) so I can’t say I’m shocked.

My cousin’s wife is a lovely person and she’s already lost her Dad. This sucks.

Also my husband had to do some crisis counseling after the Oxford shooting. So this is the second mass shooting to impact our family.

I don’t normally worry about stuff like this, but it seems like it’s getting out of control.

Hugs to you and hours, Spice Weasel. Did you know this young lady?

Or do it BEFORE they go on a rampage.

Or better yet, don’t do it at all.

I actually prefer that people like this be taken alive, so we can at least find out why.

And about ANOTHER shooting, I can’t blame this guy at all.

It reminded me of this, which was very closely re-enacted in the recent Netflix miniseries, althoug the actress parted her hair on the opposite side.

Sorry, not “she.” It was Brian Fraser. No, I didn’t know him. His cousin is my cousin. I’m a step removed from the worst of the grief, but I genuinely feel for my cousin’s loss, she is a lovely person through and through. Our next meeting will be difficult.