Ada

Becarefull about any confrontation. As management you are definitely liable under the Americans with Dissabilities Act. Being overly obese could be considered covered under this law. As such, it is the companies responsibility to accomodate(sp?) him, not is responsibility to accomodate you. In otherwords, you cannot reprimand him for not cleaning up after himself. Instead, you will find that the law requires you to either hire someone to clean up after him or purchase a toilet that suits his particular needs. I agree, it sounds unreasonable, but I just wanted to warn you that there could be a serious legal issue. Do not give nim anything in writing unless you are 100% sure it is in compliance with the law or it will be a nail in your coffin.

Oops this was supposed to be a reply, not a new thread.

Hell, am I the only one who thought this thread would be about the Department of Defense’s own programming language?

:smiley:

If it makes you feel better Derleth I thought it was about the small town in Ohio where ONU is located

Nope, you’re not the only one, I thought the same thing. Is anyone actually using Ada anymore? I did some Ada development for a NASA project about 10 or 12 years ago.

Interesting. I have no idea about the current use of Ada, but I do have a question: (GQish maybe, but this might be the only chance I can ask it and get an answer!)

How does Ada compare to other languages, like Perl or C? Is it a Hippo (Racehorse designed by committee), or is it usable? Does it have a specific problem domain (numerical analysis, text processing, etc.) or is it general-purpose?

I’m just really curious as to what the DoD thought should go into a computer language.

Well, in order to share variables, you have to file a request under the Freedom of Information Act. :slight_smile:

I took a two-week course in Ada programming in 1990. The idea was that this would prepare me to translate some ancient, undocumented astrodynamic programs that written by rocket scientists in the 60’s in Fortran IV.

Yeh, right.

From what little I remember, it is an object-oriented programming language with an emphasis on maintainability and re-usable functions. (Personally, I think that those attributes come from good programming habits, not the language.)

This site describes Ada as a descendant of Pascal and a cousin of C.

I find this quote from the linked site amusing:

C may be “more difficult”, but they seem to give the impression that C is “difficult” by saying this. I would contend that if C is in fact “difficult” to a person learning programming then a career in programming does not await.

Note I say “C” and not “C++”.

I thought it was going to be about the Nabokov novel. :smiley:

Oh god… ForTran… I spent a four-month co-op porting Old ForTran to ForTran 90.

WORST JOB EVER. Especially since I had to find out for myself that certain breeds of the language require that you leave the first few columns blank, as they are used for punch card indices.

In the first episode of Futurama, Bender the robot is drinking a bottle of Old Fortran malt liquor. Heh.

It’s pretty decent, very general-purpose, and respectably usable. Ada was conceived because – at the time – the most popular language was C (which is nice, but flawed), there were no popular object-oriented languages in wide use, and the military bigwigs wanted something that better supported encapsulation and modular programming.

In this day and age, you’ve got C++ and Java, both of which can address the issues Ada was meant to tackle; it’s not too big of a stretch to say Ada was a forerunner to those languages. In fact, I’ve worked for over a decade in various military/aerospace software projects, and I’ve never seen one that required Ada.

(And yes, I thought the OP was about the Lady Lovelace language too. :wink: )

Wimp. :wink:

I did FORTRAN programming for over two years. Okay, it was the “modern” version of FORTRAN, DEC’s FORTRAN 77, but it was still as ancient as it sounds. You just learn to tab over the first few columns for the silly punch-card nonsense…

And I once taught myself COBOL because I was bored silly in a class on some proprietary network transfer protocol package. Egads, there’s a creaky language!

Fortran IV, but I had to learn Fortran II.

Also went to class for Ada for a week, 16 years ago. Compiled it on my PC.

So this isn’t about that Opera set in Egypt?

Okay. bye.

Redboss

Since this thread was started in error, I’ll close it.